Chickens not laying eggs

That's very helpful info. Thank you! How long do you think molt usually takes?

Both moulting itself and the hiatus in laying are individual and there is a wide range in what is normal which can depend on a number of parameters, which is why you get varied opinions. Some birds have a soft, slow moult over several months where you hardly notice they are losing feathers apart from finding a few under the roost each day. Others have a fast and dramatic moult and it looks like someone broke into the coop and half plucked them overnight. Those ones are usually finished their moult in 2-3 weeks but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be back to laying as soon as they have their new coat. The amount of daylight and sunlight will play a role as it is exposure to light that stimulates the hormones to start back up again. Breed can make a difference. Your sex links will probably start up sooner than your EEs. If your weather is dingy and overcast then it may take longer, compared to bright, cold weather. This is why the egg industry and some backyard poultry keepers use artificial light. Personally I feel that this "down time" is good for the hen as it allows her reproductive system a well earned break. As birds get older their reproductive system becomes more prone to disease and malfunction because it was never evolved to be so prolific..... mankind's selective breeding and artificial manipulation has pushed it to the limit. If you do not plan to keep your hens beyond 2.5 years, then supplemental lighting might be something you should look into, but it needs to be started as the days are becoming shorter in late summer early autumn and done gradually. At this point in the year, it would not be worth setting it up as they will start laying again soon anyway and the sudden change can stress them... which could delay them.

I appreciate that it is not the clear answer you might have hoped for but perhaps helps you to understand the situation a little better.

Regards

Barbara

Thank you for taking the time to explain in such detail! VERY helpful information. I have noticed the Easter eggers lose just a few feathers at a time during molting season, as you said. It almost seems that they don't molt at all, it's so slow! I agree that chickens should have a break during the winter, so we have never put a light on them. God gives us rest during periods of the year and we should desire to do the same with the animals He has given us to tend over.:) Thanks again!

Both moulting itself and the hiatus in laying are individual and there is a wide range in what is normal which can depend on a number of parameters, which is why you get varied opinions. Some birds have a soft, slow moult over several months where you hardly notice they are losing feathers apart from finding a few under the roost each day. Others have a fast and dramatic moult and it looks like someone broke into the coop and half plucked them overnight. Those ones are usually finished their moult in 2-3 weeks but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be back to laying as soon as they have their new coat. The amount of daylight and sunlight will play a role as it is exposure to light that stimulates the hormones to start back up again. Breed can make a difference. Your sex links will probably start up sooner than your EEs. If your weather is dingy and overcast then it may take longer, compared to bright, cold weather. This is why the egg industry and some backyard poultry keepers use artificial light. Personally I feel that this "down time" is good for the hen as it allows her reproductive system a well earned break. As birds get older their reproductive system becomes more prone to disease and malfunction because it was never evolved to be so prolific..... mankind's selective breeding and artificial manipulation has pushed it to the limit. If you do not plan to keep your hens beyond 2.5 years, then supplemental lighting might be something you should look into, but it needs to be started as the days are becoming shorter in late summer early autumn and done gradually. At this point in the year, it would not be worth setting it up as they will start laying again soon anyway and the sudden change can stress them... which could delay them.

I appreciate that it is not the clear answer you might have hoped for but perhaps helps you to understand the situation a little better.

Regards

Barbara

I have a better hatch rate when I feed grower, so I started feeding it yr around...one less type of feed to stock..

Ok, thank you! I have a source for Non-Gmo grower feed, so I think I'll try that through the Winter at least.
Keep in mind, that the term 'grower' could have different protein percentages depending on brand/formulation, so check the tag sewn into bottom of bag for the protein level.
.....and that you'll need to provide oyster shells in a separate container for the layers.

We are in the same boat. Our chickens are producing 0 eggs. Ours are definitely molting as the coop has a comical amount of feathers everywhere. It is frustrating to get 0 eggs, but not much you can really do about it, besides add some extra protein to help them along. I do see lots of new feathers coming in now, so hoping they'll start "paying the rent" soon!!

Back
Top Bottom