chickens not laying eggs...

I’ve read through the comments and you don’t seem to think heat is an issue. It could possibly be the lack of sun someone mentioned. Also, are there any other uninvited critters nesting in your coop? Mice for example? Anything that would deem the coop a less than perfect place to lay? If they’re free ranged they could be laying someplace other than the coop. I often find random collections of eggs in our barn as I’m puttering around in there. Or perhaps even under some bushes/other safe structure? If the coop is big enough maybe keep them in there for a full day to see the true number of eggs they lay.
My chickens also aren’t producing nearly as many eggs as usual and I can’t blame the heat because it’s not any hotter this year than years prior.
I had experimented by keeping them in the coop + run all day and found the same amount of eggs, whether they're free ranging, or not. So that doesn't seem to be the problem.

There are no rodents or animals or bugs in any nests. We check our nest boxes (we have 8) every day for any poop, insects, broken eggs, etc. to ensure that the nests are always clean and the optimal place for a hen to lay.

It could be the heat and humidity because of all the rain.

I think the most obvious one is the sunlight. They definitely don't get enough - not with constant clouds and rain..
I'd like to ask you too: Would supplement light in the coop be beneficial for the coming winter? Because I remember every winter we only get between 2-5 eggs...

Chickens do need feed available all waking hours.
I have changed there feeding times and amounts.

However, I am not able to supply them with food available for the entire day.

They get 2 bowls of pellet in the morning, the bucket of food scraps in the morning, a small handful of mixed grains (as a snack) during the day, and another 1 bowl of pellet around evening time.

Buf if we were feeding them the same thing all year, what could have been the issue for the egg production drop?

And what would you recommend as "proper nutrition"?

And the primary food source for them is the table scraps. They LOVE It and that's where they get most of their nutrition for the day.+

edit: sorry forgot i saw that you recommended "all flock pellet". we were actually hoping to get some turkeys soon.. maybe this year or next.. would the all flock be okay for the turkeys and chickens if we were to have turkeys?
It’s sort of like in people you don’t suffer the consequences of the poor diet immediately. It takes a while. If you take a look at all the unhealthy people in the United States usually they did not start out that way in the first few years of life it took years of eating unhealthy food to become that way. Young chickens almost always start out healthy, but it’s what we feed them that changes them over the years and if they are not getting the correct nutrition, their egg laying, health and lives will eventually suffer. Chickens usually live for 8 to 10 years normally unless they develop reproductive issues or cancer.

In the beginning of this year, we've had great egg production - around 2 dozen a day.
It's true, we've had some losses (only a couple hens), so now our hen count is at 25. In the beginning of this year, it was almost 30.

Now, we are only getting about 10 eggs. What could be the issue? Stress?
Whatever it may be, I'm willing to try and fix it because we cannot support our entire household and families with less than a dozen. And we have customers that buy our eggs on a weekly basis, claiming "we want your fresh, orange-yolked goodness, rather than pale store-bought old eggs".

The flock has constant access to water. Dry food (mixed grains, layer pellets, whole corn, etc.) is given once in the morning, then we let them out to free range all day long. And sometimes in the evening we give them a little more dry food. In the morning, also, we give them a bucket of food scraps. With our big family, we get lots and lots of food scraps which they LOVE.

Are we doing something wrong? Are they stressed? Our neighbors have dogs that bark alot- could that be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

edit: I forgot to add that we mix in crushed oyster shell for calcium into their dry food every day.
If my math is correct, you have 16 laying hens and some are 4 years old, some also are not high end producers. So, to my thinking 10 eggs a day is great!!!
I have 12 prime layers and between the heat, molting and two prediter attacks I feel lucky to get 6 to 8 eggs a day. You are doing fine.

I'm in MA, and we've never had a wetter summer. Rain. Constant Rain. Every single day, non-stop. Thunderstorms. Could that be scaring them?
(age) they are all different ages. the oldest are about 4 years, the youngest are chicks but the youngest layers are almost a year old.
do you have 12 hours of light minimum I had a similar situation with my hens. i set up a simple 24 hour time clock . The lights come on a 4am and off a 4 pm this is the summer time settings in winter we set it at 3 am and 3pm ( the lights give a little heat, so make sure they are safe , I use a glass covered light with a protecting metal guard) , you want the coop to get dark slowly so set the off time so there is still some day light ,if you turn the lights off to late in the evening all the chickens will be STRESSSED and run around and possibly get hurt trying to get to a favorite perch in the dark ,because they see like you and I do so they dont see in the dark . So set the lights to go off and the day goes on and the Sun will set and it just may be what you need. Good luck, let us know if this helps.

Back
Top Bottom