Chickens not laying very often and they are still young

Kate Singh

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2017
Yuba City, CA
I just adopted some factory rescue chickens and in the first few days they laid 4 to 5 eggs daily (5 hens). The next week or so has been around 106 to 108 degrees and the eggs dropped to 2 and 3 a day. Now the weather has been in the 80's for two days and still 2 eggs. I feed them lots of crumble and greens, fruit, healthy scrapes, lots of clean water and I put vitamin Rooster Booster in the water today, oyster shells, grit. They are very happy and getting healthier each day, they have a wonderful coop and huge yard with tree, plants, compost, grass...they are at the Hilton for chickens! Where are all these eggs? They are leghorns and 2 years old.

Welcome to BYC!

I feed them lots of crumble and greens, fruit, healthy scrapes, lots of clean water and I put vitamin Rooster Booster in the water today, oyster shells, grit.
Too many goodies may be diluting the crumble nutrition,
vitamins might not make up the difference.
What crumble are you feeding, protein percentage?

Heat will definitely take a toll on laying,
shedding water to cool body doesn't leave enough to make eggs.

Could they be molting? Hiding a nest?
Definite possibilities.

Welcome to BYC!

Too many goodies may be diluting the crumble nutrition,
vitamins might not make up the difference.
What crumble are you feeding, protein percentage?

Heat will definitely take a toll on laying,
shedding water to cool body doesn't leave enough to make eggs.

Definite possibilities.
I have an organic crumble for layers 16% protien. I have no clue if that is good. I'll have to research that as well unless you have advice...I'll welcome it. I may be giving them too many treats. It was so hot here for over a week. I'll just relax about it.

Kate, at 2 years old, these factory rescues are NOT YOUNG. In bird age, they are old, especially since they are production birds and have been managed as such. Simply give them good nutrition, and wait and see what happens. They may take a winter break, and then resume active laying in Jan. or Feb. Time will tell.

Kate, at 2 years old, these factory rescues are NOT YOUNG. In bird age, they are old, especially since they are production birds and have been managed as such. Simply give them good nutrition, and wait and see what happens. They may take a winter break, and then resume active laying in Jan. or Feb. Time will tell.
X2

I have faith in my girls! They are looking so good lately and I think after a good vacation from the factory they will resume...perhaps not like they did in the pit of hell factory but we don't need that many eggs anyway.

it seems early to molt, I have no idea when that begins,
It's not, days are sharply shortening.
Many of mine have started molting, cockbird started 3-4 weeks ago.

I have an organic crumble for layers 16% protien.I have no clue if that is good. I'll have to research that as well unless you have advice
I'd go (and do) with a flock raiser type feed. Higher protein(18-20%) and low calcium for non laying birds, will help them thru the molt.

Back
Top Bottom