chickens not laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JPerch61, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JPerch61

JPerch61 New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    Hello chicken people I am new to this site have had chickens for some time but have not went through this experience, I have had 10 laying hens and introduced 15 more now NO hens are laying, What should I do?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you're here. When new birds are introduced its not uncommon for laying to slack off as everyone gets used to each other and the pecking order is reestablished. Plus heat (if it's hot where you are) reduces production. How long since they've stopped? You also might want to post your question here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying for additional advice. Good luck to you...hope they turn back on soon!

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Adding new birds to your flock cab cause upset as redsoxs has said. Often stress can be the top reason for laying to stop. I hope they pick up again soon for you.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]

I agree, it is probably the introduction that has caused some stress amongst the hens and made them stop laying. After they've get to know their new flock they will probably start laying again. In the meantime to hurry the process along, you can just make sure that everyone has access to the feeders and waterers, they have enough space and are keeping cool.

Good luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hopefully your hens will start laying again soon. I'm sure cooler weather would help but, nothing we can do about that.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. JPerch61

JPerch61 New Egg

Jul 22, 2016
    Going on 3 weeks just got 4 eggs yesterday

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by