Chickens not laying

If it isn't mites, which it sounds like it isn't, or worms, try feeding excess calcium to help up their production. I had a similar problem ( and still do though it is getting better) with our 2 year old hens barely or not laying at all from spring until now, and it seems to be picking up. I am guessing it was because they were eating an unbalanced diet, with a lack of calcium, and now they are on Purina Organic Layer, which I really like. I am a fan of DE and it is the only mite/worm preventive we give them. It doesn't work at all on squash bugs though! Those things are impossible to kill!

I have to agree with the DE being worthless against mites. I mix it in with sand and dirt for their dust baths and still have had problems with mites. You should be doing regular health checks to find anything that could cause a change in behaviour (check feet, skin and behinds for mites, under wings, keel bone and breast for loss of condition). I treat mites with pour on ivermectin as needed and get Flea Halt flea and tick spray in the dog isle at tractor supply, it's $6 for a 32 ounce bottle that contains Pyrethrins, Piperonyl Butoxide and Permethrin. I use this to spray down the roost bars, nest boxes, floors while everyone is out foraging around. This stuff kills any mites around and you'll be able to see them crawl out of the wood if there are any there. Mites and worms can both cause poor laying. They should have layer feed every single day, most people have it available constantly but with huge flocks that can be difficult (such as mine having a mix of ducks and chickens) so I feed morning and night and they free range in between. They should also have oyster shells available and you can give them their own egg shells back to eat. I also regularly feed peas from the frozen section that have been thawed and meal worms for a protein boost and use ACV in their water. Occasionally vitamins or nutri-drench in the water too. I think if you give them each a health check and get the nutrition under control their behavior and laying will straighten itself out. Just my opinion though.

[QUOTE="lazy gardener,]
Based on above highlighted information from OP, without further clarification, my assessment of this situation is that these birds are underfed and have gone into survival mode. Based on the statement about "several places to get water", I'm left wondering if these birds even have dependable access to clean water. Again, only speculation on my part, based on the available information at this time.[/QUOTE]

I agree
Birds are in extreme protein deficit as well as calorie deficit and any who are laying are likely laying out while looking for food

Get yourself a high quality feed 18-20% protein (I use feather fixer) and even give them a hand full cat food a day

I'd personally lock them in coop a couple weeks to to retrain them to nest boxes

If it isn't mites, which it sounds like it isn't, or worms, try feeding excess calcium to help up their production. I had a similar problem ( and still do though it is getting better) with our 2 year old hens barely or not laying at all from spring until now, and it seems to be picking up. I am guessing it was because they were eating an unbalanced diet, with a lack of calcium, and now they are on Purina Organic Layer, which I really like. I am a fan of DE and it is the only mite/worm preventive we give them. It doesn't work at all on squash bugs though! Those things are impossible to kill!
A parasite research scientist's words about Diatomaceous Earth how it does not prevent worms or get rid of them.

This is a wide ranging and interesting thread. What I noticed in the original post was this:
"Almost every one of these birds should be laying now. They are free range and eat all day long. I quit feeding layer pellets because it wasn't working. They dynamics of the flock has changed drastically. The hens range all over the place. They rooster no longer is interested..."

If the flock is free range all over the place, and the writer is in TN, is it not possible there are hidden nests?
That's a big drop off in *known* laying, and the rooster's behavior should not be a factor in the egg production.
I agree with whoever that confining the pullets for nestbox training would be worthwhile.
Beyond that, if nutrition is a factor, well then....

just a suggestion from a small flock keeper whose pullets really really like the tall weeds but are gradually getting accustomed to the nesting boxes.

This is a wide ranging and interesting thread. What I noticed in the original post was this:
"Almost every one of these birds should be laying now. They are free range and eat all day long. I quit feeding layer pellets because it wasn't working. They dynamics of the flock has changed drastically. The hens range all over the place. They rooster no longer is interested
I really hope OP comes back soon and lets us know if he feeds a complete feed at all or just free ranges them to find food.

Are your chickens molting? The only time I've ever had chickens that didn't lay was due to molting. Sounds really odd. I used to rescue chickens many times their former owners would tell me they don't lay eggs anymore but once I got them to my home they all laid. Are they possibly stressed or ovecrowded? A good diet makes a world of difference.

Back
Top Bottom