Chickens not laying

if they are free ranging, have you checked to see if they are not laying someplace other than the nest box. I have mot had it happen, but my friend found 2 places in his yard where his hens started laying. Also, I am not saying this fixes everything, but I have had real good luck by keeping apple cider vinegar in my watering system. It prevents a lot of the usual pest and ailments. So far in 2 years I have not had a worm problem or a mite issue.

Additionally could they be molting, or broody. either of these will cause a drop in production. I recently had a heat spell with 100 plus degrees for a few weeks, my production didn't go to zero, but pretty close. After the weather cooled down slightly, production came back within a couple of weeks.

Thank you, KikisGirls. It makes me crazy to read all these "wonderful" properties of DE and knowing it simply doesn't work that way. I add it to my garden, as it HAS been shown to help increase the uptake of nutrients for plants. I never ever trust it for deworming or parasite infestation. If your birds don't have worms, it's because they don't have worms...not because DE is a great dewormer. For chickens or horses. If your birds don't have mites, it's not because DE is great for killing them. It's because you don't have mites. I'd love for someone to link a PEER REVIEWED authenticated study that proves scientifically that DE does these things. Until then, I'll stick with stuff that I know works for my animals. They depend on me and I owe it to them.

This is a wide ranging and interesting thread. What I noticed in the original post was this:
"Almost every one of these birds should be laying now. They are free range and eat all day long. I quit feeding layer pellets because it wasn't working. They dynamics of the flock has changed drastically. The hens range all over the place. They rooster no longer is interested..."

If the flock is free range all over the place, and the writer is in TN, is it not possible there are hidden nests?
That's a big drop off in *known* laying, and the rooster's behavior should not be a factor in the egg production.
I agree with whoever that confining the pullets for nestbox training would be worthwhile.
Beyond that, if nutrition is a factor, well then....

just a suggestion from a small flock keeper whose pullets really really like the tall weeds but are gradually getting accustomed to the nesting boxes.
Good questions about ranging and nutrition, pertinent to OP situation.

It appears that OP has flown the coop, as often happens in situations like this.
Can't blame them...thread went way off the rails hard and fast with the DE and worming chatterfest. Hard to find a thread that stays on topic with thoughtful responses to the OP situation anymore.

Back
Top Bottom