Chickens Not Laying

Sfrye87

Hatching
Dec 6, 2018
Hi I have brown leghorns and barred rock. 30 weeks old. Just started getting eggs from brown leghorns on Monday this week. 4 total eggs in 4 days. Everything I have read says both breeds should have been laying by now. Any advice? All chicks look healthy, added lighting, increased dumor layer feed last month now.

Feeding a lower protein ration like a layer before they are all mature and laying will slow down maturity. Pullets mature slower this time of year as well. I would put them back on a non medicated grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Feeding a lower protein ration like a layer before they are all mature and laying will slow down maturity. Pullets mature slower this time of year as well. I would put them back on a non medicated grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.
. They also free range for 4 hours a day. Also I followed feeding exactly as stated on back of the bag. From starter/grower, grower/finisher, layer. Everything I'm reading says they should have been laying a few weeks ago .This is my 3rd flock and I have always had them laying in October.

Also I followed feeding exactly as stated on back of the bag.
That's just the company's recommendation to sell more feed..marketing more than sense.
Many of us have found other feeding regimes to be better.
...and chickens don't read the bag, so may not lay/behave as cited there.

How are you lighting...time of light on and off..etc?
When did you start lighting....a week ago, a month ago?
Did this batch of chicks hatch at the same time of year?
Are they the same breeds from the same source as previous flocks?

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-7_7-58-0.png

Back
Top Bottom