Chickens not laying

Mega_Alex

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2022
Hi i have 4 chickens. One is an Easter egger, blue sapphire, red sex link, and silkie. They are all hens for sure. They are now about 21 1/5 weeks old. They have a run. Have been on layer feed. Have two nesting boxes. Have a coop. But they haven’t laid a single egg. I’m worried I’m doing something wrong. I live near Salem, Oregon. The weather has been in the 40s with rain here and there. Thank you!!

The days are short so they may not lay until Spring, but they could start any time really. I have a gal that’s just about 6 months old who started laying within the last ten days. My other hens are a little older and a couple of them resumed laying after their recent molt. So it’ll happen when you’re not looking for eggs lol.

Be careful walking around in the run and coop, you’re likely to find a few laying on the ground at first.

I have two new ducks that I bought that are the same age as that and I too have not gotten any eggs from them. I blame it on the time of year and figure once Spring comes I will get them. Only two of my 9 hens are laying right now because of the shorter days and cold.

Day length matters for laying. Everyday is getting shorter until mid Jan, when days will start to lengthen. Chickens have a pineal gland in their head that senses light, so even a blind chicken is impacted by day length.

However, your red sex link is a high production bird, so, I’d expect you’ll see eggs from her first.

Always exceptions though…. My white Rock girls began laying at 7 months - they were an April hatch, then daylight started to decrease in mid June, when they were only 2 months. But, they matured fully and now are laying some eggs/ not as many as I’m sure they will lay come early spring.

Hope you see some eggs!

Back
Top Bottom