chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencrazy69, Oct 17, 2011.

1. chickencrazy69

chickencrazy69 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    hi i have 5 new jersy giants that were laying great this summer but since fall hit im only getting one egg a day and i have 4 hens i got at tractor supply this spring that havent layed a egg yet someone said im not giving them enough food i give them about 1 folders coffee can of food a day with some oystar shell and let them free range in my yard THANKS:cd

2. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Maybe your Jersey Giants are getting ready to molt. Most chickens molt in the fall right? Most birds stop laying when they are molting.

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    there was this thred that told you all the reasons why or what could be factors in no egg production.
    molting
    daylight is shorter
    unhealthy
    and other factors look for it was on the this chicken behavor and egg laying not 4 hours ago.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423023
    its even the first one on this form on a sticky

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

What sized "Folger's Coffe Can"? 12 oz? 2 lbs? 3 lbs? Five giant hens need than coffee can to be at least the 2 lb size. [​IMG]

Ranging vitality is decreasing each day. It's getting too cold for worm, bugs, etc., here. As winter arrives, there will no added benefit from the range at all. Also, the ever decreasing light is taking a toll. If you wish, add a few hours of pre-dawn light, by using a timer. Finally, be really, really sure they've mastered laying ONLY in the nest boxes and aren' laying off site.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicks hatched this spring, as the OP stated, aren't likely to be molting heavily at this, their first autumn.

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    You'll need artificial light if you want eggs. I didn't reset my light timer for a few days and they stopped laying for almost 3 days. They get 15 hours now and we're back in business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by