Chickens off the lay .....why?

sw7777

Hatching
Nov 8, 2023
Hi

My 8 new hampshires are a fairly happy bunch. Recently egg production has dropped from 6/day to about 2/day.
Its summer here, temps around 30C so not super hot. Plenty of shade around the yard, plenty of water and food and grit for them. They have a huge comfy chook house and free roam our 800 square yards yard .

The only thing thats changed is me putting in a large vegie patch which they have full access to for dirt bathing etc.

So they have everything they could need. We have no issues with dogs or cats or vermin that im aware of.
They just all started laying in September last year, so they arent old. I cant find an alternate hidden laying spot either.

Any suggestions welcomed....am a bit mystified....

Thanks

The only thing thats changed is me putting in a large vegie patch which they have full access to for dirt bathing etc.
So they are free range?
Chances are that they are lying in the range area or the garden.
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then maybe.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Its summer here
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1704626299610.png

So they are free range?
Chances are that they are lying in the range area or the garden.
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Then maybe.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3721091

Interesting idea of locking them into the coop for a few days, that should at least eliminate the sneaky nest laying idea and retrain them to using the laying boxes.

Ive been allowing them to nuke snails and bugs in our garden, plus they have scratch mix on tap.

Wondering if its worth adding some equivalent of chook multi-vitamins? I give our horse multi vitamins....i guess it makes sense?

Is there a need to add a high protein source as well? Sometimes i give the chooks some cheddar cheese.

Thoughts welcome

Back
Top Bottom