Chickens not leaving the coop

crankybiscuit

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
This is the 3rd day since the pullets moved in, and when I open the door to the coop in the morning, they don't leave. In the afternoons I get worried and shoo them out. One of them does eat from the feeders but the other only pecks at the ground (I've thrown in some dead leaves) and the side of the feeders, so it seems like she's hardly eating anything. I've laid out a pan of mash on the floor in case she's not figuring out the feeders, but she ignores that as well.

Should I be worried that they're not coming out of the coop on their own and that the other one is not eating very much? They seem otherwise lively.

Other than not going outside and the feeder issue, are they acting healthy? No sneezing, frequent scratching, etc...?

If there aren't any signs of illness, I'm thinking they are just in a bit of shock from being moved into a new place. Chickens are creatures of habit and once their routine gets thrown off, it takes awhile for them to get back on track and used to their new digs.

I'm sure gumpsgirl is right; I've had them completely ignore a newly opened pophole door, and I've had to push them through, and push them back in at night time, for several days in a row before they "learn" that it's okay to do it on their own!

They seem pretty healthy, they preen quite a bit but that's about it. I pushed them out this morning and closed the door behind them until I finally saw them peck at some greens. I opened the door and right back in they went.
lol.png

ah well. I'll give them a couple more days before I worry any more. Thanks!

How old are your pullets? Put some of their favorite treats outside the coop and then wait. They will eventually wander out. Make a routine of the treats every morning. Their curiosity will eventually get the best of them. Mine did the same when they were younger. Now they can't wait to get outside.

Back
Top Bottom