Chickens on top of coop

Hi all, I’m a new chicken owner. My chickens are about 15 weeks old.
For some reason my chickens have started roosting on top of the coop at night instead of going in. The coop is nice and clean 4x4 with a perch and nest boxes. I clipped their wing, one wing,and they still got up there last night. Should this be a concern? Thanks for any advice
I would suggest keeping them in a covered run that doesn't allow access to the roof until they learn to go inside at night. Like mentioned already, predators will take a sleeping chicken and there are a lot of them that come out at night. Them being foxes, mink, owl, strays, raccoons, fisher cats, coyotes, bobcats (in our area we've seen them). None of wich would hesitate to take such an easy meal.

Yes they need to be inside, especially as you do not have a predator proof run - they're quite literally sitting ducks for any predator otherwise.

My guess as to why they're not going in is there's a lack of natural light inside - your vents are small and more importantly, louvered, so they're not letting light in as a window would.

You can either add more ventilation (like an awning style window would work to help shed rain) or you'll need to add artificial lighting. Turn it on at sunset, then go back out and turn it off after they're all in and settled.

Hi all, I’m a new chicken owner. My chickens are about 15 weeks old.
For some reason my chickens have started roosting on top of the coop at night instead of going in. The coop is nice and clean 4x4 with a perch and nest boxes. I clipped their wing, one wing,and they still got up there last night. Should this be a concern? Thanks for any advice

This is what I do. I go out before it is fully dark. As soon as it starts to get dark my birds go in the coop and to the roosts. I have one Barred Rock who either goes in too late or is too heavy to get on the roost. Chickens can't see in the dark so I can get her quick and put her on the roost. I would go out every night and take them down and put them on a roost in side the coop. My birds roost by breed. 5 White Leg horns on a high roost. 2 BR's on the roost below them. Then my 2 Buffs and a Wyandotte on the low roost on the other side of the coop with a Wyandotte and 2 RIR on the higher roost and my other Wyandotte. Only room for 3 on that high roost. And if they are not in their places I put them where they belong. You might have to do it for several nights to a week. Chickens get into habits pretty quickly. I just couldn't leave them out. Don't know where you live ( i.e. what state) but I would be worried if you get snow in the winter. I wouldn't want them up there then. Good luck. Train them where you want them to roost.

Back
Top Bottom