Chickens out grew old coop

dubenjs1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2015
ledyard, CT
so I decided to build a new coop, i have four chicks that are 20 weeks and six that are 14 weeks all living in my original coop I built six years ago for six chicks. This coop is bigger 7'x7'. My question is what is the best way to move them with the least amount of stress to them. Would it be like when you originally move them from brooder to coop where you keep them in the coop for around three days before you let them into run. Also should you leave a dim light in there at night until they get used to it. Here is a quick pic of it, it is ready for paint and for me to build the runs.
20200830_155909.jpg

That looks amazing!!!
I haven't ever had to move from one coop to another.
I personally would keep the flock (if it isn't too hot) in the coop for some time so that they know it is their new safe home.

Take them off the roost tonight and transfer them. They can free range if you’re willing to transfer them each night until they get it. Or you can lock them in the coop and run for a few days and then you should be golden.

If it's not too hot, you can lock them in for a few days and that should home them to the new coop.

No they don't need a light on at night. If it's too dim in there as-is you should consider adding more windows. Actually, might want to do that for additional ventilation... are there vents under the roofline or on back that we can't see, other than the one gable vent?

Yes the entire roof line is a vent I still have to wire up so nothing can come in and another gable vent on back, also left and back wall has 36"x17" crank out window. let me find a pic from earlier in construction. I have the screens for those and I will also wire them up.
20200824_152304.jpg

being in Connecticut the day time temps right now might get to 80 but mostly mid to lower 70's and 50s and 60s at night

Our little pullets were getting big enough that we needed to expand. I found it stressed them out much more when we invaded the yard to do last minute finishing jobs. I would get as much done on the new coop and yard as possible before moving them. Moving them and then having to hammer and drill and generally disturb is much more disruptive than the grand move to a new home.

Back
Top Bottom