Chickens outside in the dark?

Mrs. Mucket

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Is it odd for chickens to be out and about during the night? My free-range chickens all go into the coop at dark and I assumed they stayed there till the sun came up. This morning I was up in the middle of the night and looked out the window. It was pitch black out but two hens were walking around up by the house in the light of an outdoor fixture. It was dark down by the coop (200' away) except for another outdoor light that's always on. Our guardian dogs were not concerned about anything and nothing seemed out of order today. It just seemed strange because I've heard that chickens go almost comatose at night.

Last edited:
My chickens always are in and on their roosts before the sun is down, although they will get off the roost to eat if I have a light and they can see.

the outside light is the reason why the chickens are out and about. You can turn a flashlight on a rooster at night and he will start crowing.... They are simple
roll.png
, lights on = day time (we are safe) , lights off = night time (hide and roost from predators)
They must think its daytime over by the house
lol.png

My chickens like to sleep outside. They are in the coop when I get up, but have seen them outside as late as 2:00 in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom