Chickens outside in the dark?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. Mucket, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Is it odd for chickens to be out and about during the night? My free-range chickens all go into the coop at dark and I assumed they stayed there till the sun came up. This morning I was up in the middle of the night and looked out the window. It was pitch black out but two hens were walking around up by the house in the light of an outdoor fixture. It was dark down by the coop (200' away) except for another outdoor light that's always on. Our guardian dogs were not concerned about anything and nothing seemed out of order today. It just seemed strange because I've heard that chickens go almost comatose at night.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. johnwinters

johnwinters Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    My chickens always are in and on their roosts before the sun is down, although they will get off the roost to eat if I have a light and they can see.

3. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

the outside light is the reason why the chickens are out and about. You can turn a flashlight on a rooster at night and he will start crowing.... They are simple [​IMG] , lights on = day time (we are safe) , lights off = night time (hide and roost from predators)
    They must think its daytime over by the house [​IMG]

4. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    My chickens like to sleep outside. They are in the coop when I get up, but have seen them outside as late as 2:00 in the morning.

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Sleepwalking?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by