Chickens panting, wondering about tonight

Lucy4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
where chickens dare to tread..
It was very hot here today -- 90's -- and it's still in the upper 80's at 9 pm. Two of my hens are panting. Is this normal? They have access to water, of course.

But now I just locked them in their coop for the night, and I feel badly for them. It's 16 square feet with two windows (for four pullets) but it's going to be so hot. My run is encased in hardware cloth with roofing and is secure... but nothing is secure as the coop. Should I just lock them in the run for the night so they won't be so hot?

I worry a lot.

Anyway, any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

If the windows allow ventillation through the coop, and they have access to water inside (for the morning), and you get up early to let them out, then I don't believe you will have a problem.

I looked up and 90 is only 32C... it gets up to 113F (sometimes more) here and I would probably do as I said above. Adequate ventillation and get up early, and provide water... should be ok.

I worried about mine too. Last week it was like that here. 90's during the day and still warm at night. And humid! You said they have windows. They should be fine. I give mine watermelon or cantalope when it's hot out. I don't want them to dehydrate.
wink.png

Panting is normal.
The panting is because they are trying to keep cool. You might notice they will eat less as well.
Excessive panting can be a sign of heat stress, but just keep an eye on them and keep their water up, make sure they have shade, etc. If they are still eating a little then you shouldn't need to worry. They will stop eating altogether and be quite unhappy if they do have heat stress.

Try this: http://www.mixph.com/2009/07/poultry-management-during-hot-weather.html

I live in east texas and I have been battling the heat too. We tried something new today I used years ago for rabbits in the summer. We got buckets and half barrels and switched out for their normal waterers and filled them up with water and took frozen coke bottles full of ice and popped a couple in each one they loved it and it has encouraged them to drink more fluids we noticed as well. We had to switch them out with more frozen ones after about 6 hours as they had melted but we had a 94 degree day today and so humid. We are going to keep this up for a week and if it continues to help them then "I guess we will just make this routine for the summer just a thought for ya.

I'm in the Central San Joaquin Valley in California and we have had a HOT summer(it was over 105 several days in row). Our chickens have also been panting, but we do something similar to the post above, and we fill empty 2 liter soda bottles with water and freeze them, and then we lay them out in the coop and the chickens lay by them. They really seem to help with the comfort level. Make sure you have enough for a rotation as they thaw...2 in the coop, and 2 in the freezer ready to go. Good luck!

I mounted a fan in their house window.
I run it to pull hot air out so as not
to cause a draft. It is on a timer
to come on about 2 hours before
they return to their house at night.
This pulls in cooler air for them.

Der Alte

Here in Arkansas the heat and humidity are really bad in summer.We run a fan out in the coop at night to help. Panting is normal when they are hot, they will hold their wings out too.

Back
Top Bottom