Chickens pecking can i use beachwood tar in place if pine tar?

GreenSoul

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014

One of our one month chicks started to get pecked at for now reason. I had put a band on her ankle and then was going to do the rest later today, so I had looked her over came back a while later and she had what was the start if a sore. I took her out took the band off and since no one was pecking at her at the time I put her back well then they started at her, so I have since isolated her. She is sad is doesn't like being alone! I was told I should put pine tar on it and the others would leave her alone. Well I am in Germany and cant find that I did find beach wood tar. It is labeled for the same application here. Is beach wood safe to use? I want to get her back with the others as all she is doing now is trying to get out and get back with the others.

I haven't heard of beach tar to know if is safe. If you could find a sulfur cream called Nustock in feed stores--it contains pine oil and is healing. Bag balm is another one to try that tastes bad, and BluKote antiseptic spray would color it dark blue to prevent pecking. Plain iodine might be a good bet.

Thank you I know i can get iodine here so I will for sure start with that! does anyone know if any essential oils are safe and good to use?

Thank you I know i can get iodine here so I will for sure start with that! does anyone know if any essential oils are safe and good to use?

I personally wouldn't use essential oils on wounds as there are only a few that might not cause worse irritation (in humans) and they must be properly diluted; Eggcessive's suggestions are great and honestly I'd go with one of those if you can.
Coconut oil can be used for dermal healing, but honestly I would err in favor of options that did NOT taste good to the other chickens!! Chickens love coconut oil. Only use it if you are isolating this bird from the others.

Right I use oils on us all the time I was thinking lavender but dint know it it was ok for chicks. That is my plan is to go with what they said. Thank you for all the advice now that is it morning I am off to see what I can find at the stores here!

Right I use oils on us all the time I was thinking lavender but dint know it it was ok for chicks. That is my plan is to go with what they said. Thank you for all the advice now that is it morning I am off to see what I can find at the stores here!

Sure, I understand that. Birds just have notoriously sensitive systems, and with no disrespect intended, some folks do not know how to safely use essential oils and even further often do not buy truly pure quality oils which can lead to serious problems (I do not think that you are one of them, but this forum sees thousands of 'lurkers' every day and I'd hate for one of them to get a bad idea).

I didn't mean to be dismissive about essential oils-- just expression caution to any readers. Especially since there are indeed very viable alternatives.

Many essential oils claim to be therapeutic grade' and in fact contain concentrations of chemicals, which while considered safe and often beneficial for humans, can prove dangerous to birds. There isn't really any regulation on this unless you make your own. Topical application especially can carry higher risks, especially since they are so concentrated. My advice to any looking into their use is, please, be very careful and do some deep research before use. I should mention that chickens seem to be a bit more robust than many of our other avian friends (parrots, etc) so they can sometimes take more abuse, but care must still be taken.

Back
Top Bottom