chickens pecking/eating own eggs...update pg.3

The soapy egg thing hasn't worked yet. One of my girls moved the egg but did not peck it. Maybe because I used candle wax. I don't know. But they moved it. Giving it one more day.

Quote:
I had to chuckle at dear hubby when i got home from work today. He thought the girls (what I normally call them) ate the soap egg. They buried it under the pine shavings. He said it wasn't in there and he looked all over the place and didn't see it. I noticed that they kind of built a mound of shavings going into the lower nest box where I had set it the last time i placed it. It was buried in the shavings. Havent had any more cracked eggs but I don't think i've cracked the hen of her behavior yet.

I won't give up though.

So, after two days of the soap egg being in the coop, my girls finally pecked it open. Now it's a waiting game to see if it was enough to deter their behavior..

Hoping for the best.
roll.png

i had one pecking eggs, but as I have almost 50 chickens I had to watch and see which one it was. I isolated her and filled an egg with musturd and hot sauce. She ate it with no problem! I will wait and see if she eats her own eggs. With her isolated there have been no more pecked eggs. I hope to break her of the habit, as I do not want to cull her.

Mine only eat the eggs when they are layed on the floor and are stepped on. Eating the eggs is a calcium problem that can be easily solved with oyster shells.

Master S.M.C :

Mine only eat the eggs when they are layed on the floor and are stepped on. Eating the eggs is a calcium problem that can be easily solved with oyster shells.

unfortunately, my girls have had oyster shell provided in a seperate dish and mixed in with their feed since the two started laying.

I would love to catch which one is doin it. I pretty sure it's not my rhode island reds becuase they lay in the back corner of the coop and their eggs are always good and not pecked. I think its one of my five buffs.

The eggs that are pecked open are either layed in the nest box or in front of the door way. and the eggs were not cracked just a nice beak hole through it.

All of the eggs have very strong shells. I'm going to scrample some store bought eggs for the girls and give them some extra protein i think today See if that might make a difference too. I know they have enough calcium.​

With duel purpose they need 18% protien at the least. The bigger heavier bodies is why. The only real cure for egg eating is roll out nest boxes. When a hen layes the egg rolls away and down where she can not get it. There are some how make one here on BYC just do a search for them.

Back
Top Bottom