Chickens pooping mostly Ceacal-like poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuckNBark Farm, Sep 23, 2013.

1. BuckNBark Farm

BuckNBark Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Hi- forgive me if this has been asked before- I did a search and didn't find it. My chickens are pooping ceacal- like poop. They seem to be pooping this kind more than normal, in my opinion. Should I treat with Corrid?

Thanks- Pam

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you seeing and signs of lethargy or ruffled feathers, sitting around puffed up? If not, I would try feeding everyone some plain yogurt with cultures, and putting ACVinegar 1/2 ounce to a gallon in their water first.

3. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    Nope- no one is puffy, ruffled, or lethargic. Every seems happy :) Thanks for the advice!

4. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Can you please post pics. what are the colors of droppings? Do they smell bad?

5. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    I might have to post pics today. It's raining, and I have them up today. You can't really see it in the shavings. It's mustard color, like cealcal. No worm in it. Smells kinda bad when I get it on me. But that's because I keep sniffing my fingers for some reason, punish myself, I guess.

6. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    I mean post a pic tomorrow.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might consider worming with a broad spectrum wormer like Valbazen or Safegard Liquid since they do not seem to have coccidiosis. Bright yellow mustard colored droppings can be a sign of E.coli infection, but again, they would be very sick. Cecal poops are just nasty, and they occur about every 9-10 times. Chickens have 5 kinds of worms, and you can only see round worms sometimes, so I would worm them.

8. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    I have the Ivermectin (for cattle) that you drop a cc for small/ cc for large chickens. It also controls mites (they don't have mites or lice). It is broad spectrum? I remember that it didn't cover one kind of worm.

Thanks-
    Pam

9. BuckNBark Farm

May 4, 2010
    Trenton, GA
    I do have Valbezen (I always mis-spell that) but they won't drink it. Even with sugar. Maybe I need more sugar.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  10. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by