chickens quit laying

lavacaw

Songster
13 Years
Feb 4, 2008
South Central Texas
I have 11 hens (RIRs and Production Reds) which were laying 12 eggs every two days. These chickens are only about 6 months old. We thought we had 12 hens and one turned out to be a rooster. We had a rooster that got nasty and turned him into chicken and dumplings...allowing the red rooster to be king of the hill. Now the hens aren't laying...an egg a day for the last two weeks. We killed a chicken snake in the henhouse two weeks ago but that has never before affected my chickens laying. No, they are not molting. Suggestions as to what the problem may be? The weather is perfect and they have a closed pen to keep out predators.
hmm.png

I had the same thing happen a few months ago but it was due to the fact that my little bantam mix was killed by a sly ole fox. He kept lurking for days we just couldnt catch him to do away with him. He finally quit coming around until a week ago when my hubby saw him at the compost pile. They are still laying this time around because we moved the coupe closer to the house where the dog can protect them better. Could you have a fox around?

We haven't seen a fox for a couple of years...too many dogs at the moment. I have a chocolate lab and my son and his family are here with their four miniature daschunds till the end of summer. We also moved the ducks onto the big pond from the pen next to the chickens about the time they quit laying. Don't know if this could have had any effect.

I went through this same thing, read my post: hens holiday. Many people wrote in also and said this spring their hens were taking a break. If they are under a year old I don't think they could possibly be moulting.

Some of my hens just took a break. Almost 2 weeks. We went for 7-8 eggs a day to 2-3. I had 8 hens but I am now down to 7 due to culling a sick hen.

My white leg horns needed a break I guess.

They started laying much earlier than my bantams. The bantams are going strong but the white ladies took a well deserved break. They started back up late last week and have caught back up to 7 eggs yesterday and 6 the day before.

I just finished a new house and will move them. That could cause them to take another break.

They are healthy and in good spirits.

Back
Top Bottom