Chickens Roosting in the run during winter

kylemsenger

Chirping
Sep 7, 2018
Northeast Ohio
My chickens are about 18 or 19 months now. The first winter they were trained to stay in the coop and go in at night. During the summer they were allowed to sleep out in the run which has some nice high perches for them and they seemed to love it.
My run is completely protected from the wind, all sides covered and a roof.
The temps have hit the mid 30's here a few nights lately and the chickens were perched out in the run like every other night.
My question: Is it ok to let them roost in the run during the winter if they are comfortable or no because its too large a space for them to utilize their own body heat? Will they go back to the coop on their own if they get to cold or do I need to retrain them? They currently only ever go into the coop to lay...its basically a nesting box with a waiting room lol. Never any poop in there. I plan to build them a much taller coop next year so that they can perch up nice and high indoors but need to know what to do this winter.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20191106_141723.jpg
    IMG_20191106_141723.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20191106_141741.jpg
    IMG_20191106_141741.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191106_141757.jpg
    IMG_20191106_141757.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191106_141839.jpg
    IMG_20191106_141839.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Where are you located? Can you share pictures of your coop? Is the run secure and protected?

Is it ok to let them roost in the run during the winter if they are comfortable or no because its too large a space for them to utilize their own body heat?
This is a 'myth'.
You want enough ventilation in the coop to where 'holding body heat' is impossible.
They hold their body heat close to them with their feathers, 'snuggling' next to each other is more for a feeling of 'safety' than to share body heat.
If there is no strong winds blowing on them in the run, and they stay dry, they should be fine out there.

Will they go back to the coop on their own if they get to cold or do I need to retrain them?
You'd have to retrain them. By removing the run roosts or lowering them to where they are lower than the coop roosts.

Where are you located? Can you share pictures of your coop? Is the run secure and protected?
Good Questions!^^^

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-6_7-55-28.png

Thank you everyone! I am in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland to be exact) The run is 100% secure w/ welded wire top (even under the roof), sides, and extending 2 feet under ground around the perimeter. The run then gets sealed up with clear plastic tarps secured by wood furring strips. the only ventilation is through the large open eaves on one end of the run. Last year it was wind proof enough that the humidity started to get a bit high during the day and I had to install an exhaust fan to assist in moving air in the winter. My coop has a 6 inch x 6 inch welded wire window in the door that was left unsealed to the run last year as well as not actually closing the coop door at night and was not an issue. We get zero snow in our run.
I am going out to feed, water and muck out later today and I will grab some photos while I am at it!
It sounds like consensus is that my run is essentially just a larger coop and things should be fine. Removing the perches in the run would be awful as they are permanently installed and there are a lot of them (after all a girl should have options) I guess this year we will let it ride and if something happens make adjustments.

Your coop is too small to be comfortable. I would let them roost in the run too. I would check to see if the roost area feels drafty or not on windy days.

Back
Top Bottom