Chickens scared of colour yellow?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ex-Bats-Owner, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Ex-Bats-Owner

Ex-Bats-Owner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Has anyone else found that their hens are scared of a particular colour?! My ex battery girls are scared of the colour yellow and I have no idea why! Literally anything yellow, edible or not and they go berserk! I love cooking them up corn on the cob but when I take it out they sprint back to the coop shouting the entire way! I didn't know whether it was something to do with chicken psychology and the colour yellow triggering something from the battery house or whether this was normal?! It's amusing to watch non the less!

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Maybe the evil workers at the factory farm wore yellow jackets??

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I have a pair of bright orange grunden rain pants,my chickens want nothing to do with me when I am wearing them.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i allways go out in sweats but one day i went in my big old house dress and my guineas started screemin at me and flew to the woods. it was so funny. its not the color or they would run from the flowers, its just something different i think. whatever it is, its really fun to do it

5. Ex-Bats-Owner

Ex-Bats-Owner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    It's so unusual, I guess il never know for sure why the colour yellow spooks my girls but I'm thinking its to do with their dark past! Poor girlies, very funny though!

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]

7. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My alpha roo hates blue shirts and ball caps, they get his panty feathers all in a bunch lol.

8. giannini

giannini Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Reno, Nevada
    I know this thread is 2 years old but....tonight I had 3 of my 8 hens who would NOT go back into the coop. The sun had gone down, and they would come within 20 feet of the coop but no further. I tried luring them with their favorite mealworms. Then I tried some dandelion greens. They were in the chicken tunnel so I couldn't get to them. Finally, I realized I had put some yellow tunnel near the coop, next to the tunnel they were in. I removed it to the front yard and BINGO! They went right into the coop. Really weird.

9. Maatawry

Maatawry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    I stumbled on this thread and laughed. My chicken hates the color blue. Hates it. I've seen her fly across the room to knock blue nail polish off the table, and if my husband is drinking blue moon, he needs to pour it in a glass or she'll attack the label.

10. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    Wow! When I take MY girls corn on the cob, or just the COBS, they SWARM me!!! LOL But I have read that chickens see colors much more intensely than we do, so that could explain a lot. (although I liked some of YOUR guy's answers better!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by