Chickens scared of colour yellow?!

Ex-Bats-Owner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
Has anyone else found that their hens are scared of a particular colour?! My ex battery girls are scared of the colour yellow and I have no idea why! Literally anything yellow, edible or not and they go berserk! I love cooking them up corn on the cob but when I take it out they sprint back to the coop shouting the entire way! I didn't know whether it was something to do with chicken psychology and the colour yellow triggering something from the battery house or whether this was normal?! It's amusing to watch non the less!

Has anyone else found that their hens are scared of a particular colour?! My ex battery girls are scared of the colour yellow and I have no idea why! Literally anything yellow, edible or not and they go berserk! I love cooking them up corn on the cob but when I take it out they sprint back to the coop shouting the entire way! I didn't know whether it was something to do with chicken psychology and the colour yellow triggering something from the battery house or whether this was normal?! It's amusing to watch non the less!
Maybe the evil workers at the factory farm wore yellow jackets??

i allways go out in sweats but one day i went in my big old house dress and my guineas started screemin at me and flew to the woods. it was so funny. its not the color or they would run from the flowers, its just something different i think. whatever it is, its really fun to do it

It's so unusual, I guess il never know for sure why the colour yellow spooks my girls but I'm thinking its to do with their dark past! Poor girlies, very funny though!

wee.gif

I know this thread is 2 years old but....tonight I had 3 of my 8 hens who would NOT go back into the coop. The sun had gone down, and they would come within 20 feet of the coop but no further. I tried luring them with their favorite mealworms. Then I tried some dandelion greens. They were in the chicken tunnel so I couldn't get to them. Finally, I realized I had put some yellow tunnel near the coop, next to the tunnel they were in. I removed it to the front yard and BINGO! They went right into the coop. Really weird.

I stumbled on this thread and laughed. My chicken hates the color blue. Hates it. I've seen her fly across the room to knock blue nail polish off the table, and if my husband is drinking blue moon, he needs to pour it in a glass or she'll attack the label.

Wow! When I take MY girls corn on the cob, or just the COBS, they SWARM me!!! LOL But I have read that chickens see colors much more intensely than we do, so that could explain a lot. (although I liked some of YOUR guy's answers better!)

Back
Top Bottom