Chickens seem to be scared of their new drinker

Chuckie

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
UK
Hi
smile.png

Apologies if this is a question already asked, but I have searched & not found the answer

I am new to chicken keeping; about 8 weeks ago I acquired 4 pullets aged 18 weeks.

We are all getting along blissfully, but I have just changed their small (slightly slimy) plastic drinker for a larger galvanized one and they seem to be terrified of it. last night 1 of my hens refused point blank to walk past it to go into the coop. It was about 4 hours after sunset when I gave in and lifted her to the coop.

Is this normal?? Any tips for calming them down and accepting it into their lives?
hide.gif

Thanks!

You could paint it red? Or cover it with paper - Make a modge podge project out of it. I have seen chickens drink out of all kinds of things including dirty puddles when clean water was also offered. I would offer them the old waterers along with the new one for now. You don't want to lose chickens from dehydration. I wonder if the galvanized waterer is altering the taste of the water through some kind of reaction.

I hope that helps
Caroline

Thanks Caroline

It will be turning red this evening! :)

I did give it a good rince before use, but only with water. Is there anything else I should have washed it with?

Emma

Hello,
A little apple cider vinegar in the water helps keep it slime free. We had good luck setting the new watering system next to the old so the girls had a little time to adjust to the change. We also tapped the new bucket with our finger tips to get their attention. A few of the girls kept using the old water dispenser for several days before they made the switch. If they had needed any extra encouragement I might have sprinkled sunflower seeds in the area. Good luck : )

Annette

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Chickens are sometimes silly things aren't they. Can you put their old waterer beside the new one for a few days so they get used to the idea, then just let the old one run out. Unless you want to paint it, you don't want to use vinegar with galvanized metal.

You are so right about not putting the vinegar in the metal container. I should have been clearer that I meant the smaller plastic style. (We are using hanging plastic buckets with poultry nipples and continue to add the apple cider vinegar)

Back
Top Bottom