Chickens seem to be scared of their new drinker

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chuckie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Chuckie

Chuckie New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    UK
    Hi [​IMG]

Apologies if this is a question already asked, but I have searched & not found the answer

I am new to chicken keeping; about 8 weeks ago I acquired 4 pullets aged 18 weeks.

We are all getting along blissfully, but I have just changed their small (slightly slimy) plastic drinker for a larger galvanized one and they seem to be terrified of it. last night 1 of my hens refused point blank to walk past it to go into the coop. It was about 4 hours after sunset when I gave in and lifted her to the coop.

Is this normal?? Any tips for calming them down and accepting it into their lives? [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    You could paint it red? Or cover it with paper - Make a modge podge project out of it. I have seen chickens drink out of all kinds of things including dirty puddles when clean water was also offered. I would offer them the old waterers along with the new one for now. You don't want to lose chickens from dehydration. I wonder if the galvanized waterer is altering the taste of the water through some kind of reaction.

I hope that helps
    Caroline

1 person likes this.
  3. Chuckie

Chuckie New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    UK
    Thanks Caroline

It will be turning red this evening! :)

I did give it a good rince before use, but only with water. Is there anything else I should have washed it with?

Emma

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome!Glad you joined BYC! :~D

5. IridescentPals

IridescentPals Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Oregon
    Hello,
    A little apple cider vinegar in the water helps keep it slime free. We had good luck setting the new watering system next to the old so the girls had a little time to adjust to the change. We also tapped the new bucket with our finger tips to get their attention. A few of the girls kept using the old water dispenser for several days before they made the switch. If they had needed any extra encouragement I might have sprinkled sunflower seeds in the area. Good luck : )

Annette

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Not sure how to help but good luck to you :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Chickens are sometimes silly things aren't they. Can you put their old waterer beside the new one for a few days so they get used to the idea, then just let the old one run out. Unless you want to paint it, you don't want to use vinegar with galvanized metal.

8. IridescentPals

IridescentPals Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Oregon
    You are so right about not putting the vinegar in the metal container. I should have been clearer that I meant the smaller plastic style. (We are using hanging plastic buckets with poultry nipples and continue to add the apple cider vinegar)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by