Chickens Seem to Fight Only When I'm With Them

bcorps

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
SW Indiana
I recently installed a surveillance camera in my chicken run. The results have me perplexed. Those little maniacs are sweethearts when I'm not there. No running around pecking each other on the head or fighting over treat_00763 when they have millions of others lying right next to it. My roo even seems to be giving his rapey ways a break.

Is my presence that disruptive? All I do is walk around, steal eggs, feed them treats, and sometimes let them sit on my lap.

I figure for the roo, it's like "oh no, the bigger roo is here...I'd better pass my genes on a 235th time today, just in case".

The girls? Either they're fighting for my affection (not likely), or it creates some sense of greed over the treats (though there are plenty to go around, trust me..I spoil them rotten).

It's like the reverse of grandkids...they're sweet and lovable when I'm not "visiting"?

Anyone else have this experience?

I think the presence of treats is always something to compete over. They don't know there is plenty. They think each morsel they get might be the only one, and the chicken next to them has a better one.

I'd visit without treats for a couple of weeks and see if there is a change.

And the rooster is asserting his dominance over YOU by mating right in front of you. Put a stop too that now.

Remove competition, make yourself boring, and put yourself as top dog. They need to respect you, not love you or boss you and fight each other doing so.

I think the presence of treats is always something to compete over. They don't know there is plenty. They think each morsel they get might be the only one, and the chicken next to them has a better one.

I'd visit without treats for a couple of weeks and see if there is a change.

And the rooster is asserting his dominance over YOU by mating right in front of you. Put a stop too that now.

Remove competition, make yourself boring, and put yourself as top dog. They need to respect you, not love you or boss you and fight each other doing so.
He might be TRYING to assert his dominance....but he takes off every time I come near him. He definitely knows not to mess with me. I do think it pisses him off when one of the girls sits in my lap though. He stands and stares.

You are a valuable resource and they get competitive over this resource when it's around. Whether it's treats or attention, they do want something from you, and aren't as willing to share as other animals are. Chickens are greedy bullies by nature. If it bothers you, don't give them treats, otherwise just enjoy them as they are. Mine usually calm down after all the treats have been eaten. I stay with them after for a while, and they return to their usual business. They'll often flock near me and preen themselves next to or on top of me, and then take a nap. Even the older hens who normally chase the crap out of the pullets when treats are involved, will sit/stand right next to them, side by side, for the preen party and they're all totally peaceful. If you only feed them treats first thing as you come in, and then you stay for a while after the treats are gone, without handing out any new treats, soon they'll learn that after the treats are gone, there is no more, and they'll switch out of competitive mode and go back to normal mode.

Back
Top Bottom