2 adolescent chickens seem to fight occasionally when I take them out of brooder

gcgallardo

Hatching
Mar 18, 2024
So whenever I take my 2 chickens out of the brooder for them to explore a bit, occasionally the 2 chickens fight. Not sure why. They do not do this inside of the brooder. But they are very close and follow each other everywhere they go. They have plenty of food and water.

So whenever I take my 2 chickens out of the brooder for them to explore a bit, occasionally the 2 chickens fight. Not sure why. They do not do this inside of the brooder. But they are very close and follow each other everywhere they go. They have plenty of food and water.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

It's normal to blow off a little steam (wing flapping & stuff also) when entering a larger space.. and also they will be establishing a pecking order.. but should be equally matched.

Are there only two in the group? Both genders will participate in this behavior some.

Plenty of resources (food, water, space, enrichment) still allows for "healthy competition".. it's part of how they thrive.. by always wanting what the other has.. because it must be good! :cool:

Welcome to BYC! :frow

It's normal to blow off a little steam (wing flapping & stuff also) when entering a larger space.. and also they will be establishing a pecking order.. but should be equally matched.

Are there only two in the group? Both genders will participate in this behavior some.

Plenty of resources (food, water, space, enrichment) still allows for "healthy competition".. it's part of how they thrive.. by always wanting what the other has.. because it must be good! :cool:
Should I interfere with these quarrels? And yes, it is only 2

How old are they? Is it nasty fighting that could draw blood or just some chasing and chest bumping? The later is completely normal (and pretty cute if you ask me.) I hope it's not bad enough to draw blood, that would be the only concern I'd have.

Should I interfere with these quarrels? And yes, it is only 2
No, human intervention usually prolongs things.. and they may go through several little pecking order changes as hormones set in at different rates.. pecking order is dynamic.

If one is running away and hiding while the other is not relenting.. Then I don't allow for bullying.. but isn't super common among duos.

In older (familiar) birds.. even in the event of blood being drawn.. sometimes people are over reactive too soon and those birds "may* go to roost together at night.. even roosters. Each situation is unique.. My thoughts may not be the same if it were a brooder full of chicks or flock that might gang up on whoever's at the bottom.. since cannibalism happens WAY more easy under that condition.

ETA: please always do what feels right to YOU, according to the information and experience you have at the time!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom