Chickens shivering

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
Sorry I haven’t been able to find this answer in a short time frame since it’s kind of a time sensitive question. I live in central NC and it’s 14 degrees (feels like 5).

The chickens have a coop and run, and have been going out in the run despite the weather. This morning I took them warm scrambled eggs and some warm water (in their run) then they flew up and perched on one of their perches. One in particular is shivering a lot. Should I manually move them to their coop? This is our first winter together and I’m not sure.

Sorry I haven’t been able to find this answer in a short time frame since it’s kind of a time sensitive question. I live in central NC and it’s 14 degrees (feels like 5).

The chickens have a coop and run, and have been going out in the run despite the weather. This morning I took them warm scrambled eggs and some warm water (in their run) then they flew up and perched on one of their perches. One in particular is shivering a lot. Should I manually move them to their coop? This is our first winter together and I’m not sure.
Shivering is how they keep warm in addition to fluffing up their feathers and tucking in their heads. If she wants to be out, leave her out.
Has your run been winterized to block the wind and add more material to the litter so the birds aren't walking on frozen ground?
It's -14F here right now and about half my flock was out in the run when I went out to feed them.

Last edited:
My coop is fairly draft free (I do get some draft in thru the pop door during the day) but uninsulated. Two-thirds of the run is covered by a metal roof. The other third is covered by a “hoop roof” (pvc frame covered with a reinforced clear tarp). During the early winter, I wrap the entire run in 6mil clear plastic and heavy duty shower liners. That stops the wind but allows in lots of light. It’s 4° here now and the girls are doing well. I gave them some scratch and extra chow this morning, then sat with them for a few minutes after I scooped up the poopsicles. They ate, drank, pooped, and then hopped up on the roosts in the run and fluffed up for a nap.

One other thing I do on extremely cold days (or hot) is take them out some wet chow. I add hot or cold water (depending on the weather) to their chow and maybe a few mealworms. They act like it’s dinner from a five star restaurant!

E331C14C-FE75-4CC2-BC53-4A1641D43CC4.jpeg

B86E4909-614B-4E3D-88A1-30246B3A4655.jpeg

1CFB4758-97CB-409F-B264-A2CF43DA638D.jpeg

My coop is fairly draft free (I do get some draft in thru the pop door during the day) but uninsulated. Two-thirds of the run is covered by a metal roof. The other third is covered by a “hoop roof” (pvc frame covered with a reinforced clear tarp). During the early winter, I wrap the entire run in 6mil clear plastic and heavy duty shower liners. That stops the wind but allows in lots of light. It’s 4° here now and the girls are doing well. I gave them some scratch and extra chow this morning, then sat with them for a few minutes after I scooped up the poopsicles. They ate, drank, pooped, and then hopped up on the roosts in the run and fluffed up for a nap.

One other thing I do on extremely cold days (or hot) is take them out some wet chow. I add hot or cold water (depending on the weather) to their chow and maybe a few mealworms. They act like it’s dinner from a five star restaurant!

View attachment 2968526

View attachment 2968527

View attachment 2968530
Lovely setup! What breeds are your chickens? I can pick out a few…Sussex, EE, Australorp. ❤️

They should be fine. They're wearing warm down parkas. :)

As long as they are dry and can get out of the wind they will choose what they want to do -- chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens.

Here is my flock this morning:

0122220813d_HDR.jpg
0122220817.jpg
0122220817a.jpg
0122220818.jpg
0122220818b.jpg
0122220818c.jpg

0122220823a.jpg

I have snow inside the open portion of the Open Air coop, but it will be OK since the airflow will let it dry out quickly.

0122220812a_HDR.jpg

(The sheltered end of the coop is snow-free and dry).

I have five Brahmas who were hatched on Mother’s Day 2021, one BLRW who will be three this year, and the other six girls are going to be four years old in July. Of the old ladies, one is a BJG, two are EEers, one Speckled Sussex, one Salmon Faverolles (she’s by far the smallest, but is my alpha!!), and a blue Cochin.

2349EF7C-30E2-4F1B-8A85-A30DB302E5AC.jpeg

1DF64C79-3C55-4FE4-A9DC-14A386779E0A.jpeg

E7E85185-5ECE-4333-BFF9-8F5F329DEAC7.jpeg

AAAB8093-26E6-43D1-8014-0BAFCCEC4E1B.jpeg

(That’s Dottie raising the Brahma chicks. She did a great job!)

I know this is an old post, but I’m glad I found it. One of my ladies was shivering yesterday and it got me nervous. I tried to cuddle her to warm her up and she didn’t like that! I didn’t know chickens shivered. This winter seems to be so cold compared to the last few. Or maybe I just notice it more because I’m actually outside checking on the ladies a lot :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom