Chickens sick and dying, don't know the cause.

No chicks have died. That's the weird part - I would think the chicks would have the more fragile systems, but we've only lost laying hens. However, we only noticed the diarrhea in the older hens yesterday and there was a sudden onset. Today is the first day we've noticed diarrhea in the chicks. A thought - I just remembered that one of the laying hens that died had a shaking of sorts - almost like a nervous/cold shiver. We're tossing the two eggs gathered yesterday and the one egg from today, just to be safe.

Please keep this thread updated on their status. Unfortunately for now you need to let this play out. It's not fun but you and your flock will get through it.

Were the chicks vaccinated for cocci and the older birds not? Could the chicks some how pass a different strain of cocci to your older birds? If so maybe the older birds may have no immunity to the new cocci.
hu.gif

I agree with some of the other posters - suspect coccidiosis. The Merck Veterinary Manual gives a thorough discussion of the disease, mode of infection, info on how vaccines give limited protection, and also about modes of treatment. You can find it here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm Of particular note, not all cocci infections exhibit the symptom of bloody stools. Almost all, however, exhibit diarrhea and or watery stools.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! We are now day three post problem - we lost a total of three laying hens and one chick. We fed them yogurt and added apple cider vinegar to their water and then let them out to free range every day. I have no idea what caused it or if it will return, but I'm grateful for all your inputs! If I can repay the favor, I will...

Back
Top Bottom