1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens sick with a cold?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pinkshu, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Pinkshu

Pinkshu New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    Hello! I have my chickens since this last summer 2015. like a month after I got them they started to get sick. they made this sound like when you sneeze and had a nasty smell on them. Went to the store bought antibiotics and gave it to them. I did end up loosing 2 of them. then the other ones got better. but now again as in today they are sneezing again. ahhhhhhhh I don't know if it is the climate where I live. I live near by Pensacola Fl in a small town and uts been raining then cold then humid. even my in my garden my veggies went to waste because they end up with a mold disease in theur leaf. any suggestions what medication or what to do so they can get better? Thanks

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you lost some flock members and that your birds are sick :hugs Please do drop by the emergencies injury disease cure section, here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    Give as much information as you can about your poorly birds. Fingers crossed members there will be able to help you.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens really don't get colds, they get respiratory problems - some contagious - they really need to be diagnosed by a vet and your birds given the proper treatment. You may have carriers that keep re-infecting your flock.

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sorry that it is not under better circumstances that you have made your first post. In the absence of veterinary advice, adding vitamin supplements / electrolytes to their drinking water will help boost their immune system. Antibiotics may be worth considering, but do bear in mind that they will only deal with bacterial infections (but will help fight of secondary infections) and so may not help.

I know that some members would advise against treating with antibiotics without knowing exactly what the issue is - and this makes perfect sense. I personally do not fall into that category, but i thought that its better to try and provide a balanced view of what people tend to do.

As DD rightly says, your flock may well be carriers for life and the same issue may flare up again when the flock is stressed or has another illness (bit like humans having cold sores).

I have the same problem in my flock and i decided not to cull them. Having done so, i am fully aware that i cannot sell any of my flock to another chicken keeper. To be honest, with the benefit of hindsight it may have been better to have done so. However, if you do not breed chickens or have any intention of selling them, it may not be something to rue later on.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by