Chickens Sick WITH Salmonella - Looking for More Info

NatalieP

Songster
May 3, 2020
South Central Kansas
Hello! I'm struggling to find any information regarding chickens that are sick with Salmonella. I'm finding a lot of articles about people getting sick or practicing good hygiene, but that's not what I'm looking for. What symptoms do chickens show if they are sick with it? How does it get treated? Is it common for chickens to get sick from it in the backyard / free range setting? I understand there are multiple strands. This article is really all I found: https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...I-tell-if-my-flock-is-infected-with-H138.aspx. Thank you!

I'm struggling to find any information regarding chickens that are sick with Salmonella.
Hi there. You've got some pretty good resources given already. Are your birds under the weather? How old are they and where did they come from?

A chicken can carry Salmonella and NOT be sick with Salmonellosis.

No, it is NOT common for backyard chickens to get it free ranging. But it IS possible. Not my favorite resource as sometimes they have invalid information.. but could be useful to your question..
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/salmonellosis

I LOVE Merck as a resource but use the veterinary version.. Not as simple to understand as some resources but accurate.. Says it can be treated with antibiotics but is controversial as it may cause them to become carriers who shed live virus..
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/salmonellosis/salmonellosis-in-animals

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/salmonelloses/salmonelloses-in-poultry

If the carrier statement is true.. culling is how I would treats the birds. The whole reason I got my own flock was because of eggs being recalled due to Salmonella. Since getting my own birds.. purchased from NPIP participating suppliers.. I collect clean eggs daily and store unwashed in the fridge for 6+ months.. and the're still better than store bought! No one "washes" (if that't what we call rinsing the bloom off) my eggs before eating and no one has ever gotten sick YET.. from my eggs.

But wait, there's more! I harvest my birds as well and believe it or not they stay fresh with no fowl smell or slimy feeling for at least 2 weeks in the fridge! There is a LOT to be said for cross contamination and preventing it.

Most folks find out their birds are carrying salmonella when when of their humans gets ill. I've seen that be way more common than symptoms actually seen in the birds themselves. Even eating raw chicken doesn't cause salmonella.. unless the bird is carrying it. Might cause something else though I doubt it IF FRESH! :sick

Hi there. You've got some pretty good resources given already. Are your birds under the weather? How old are they and where did they come from?

A chicken can carry Salmonella and NOT be sick with Salmonellosis.

No, it is NOT common for backyard chickens to get it free ranging. But it IS possible. Not my favorite resource as sometimes they have invalid information.. but could be useful to your question..
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/salmonellosis

I LOVE Merck as a resource but use the veterinary version.. Not as simple to understand as some resources but accurate.. Says it can be treated with antibiotics but is controversial as it may cause them to become carriers who shed live virus..
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/salmonellosis/salmonellosis-in-animals

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/salmonelloses/salmonelloses-in-poultry

If the carrier statement is true.. culling is how I would treats the birds. The whole reason I got my own flock was because of eggs being recalled due to Salmonella. Since getting my own birds.. purchased from NPIP participating suppliers.. I collect clean eggs daily and store unwashed in the fridge for 6+ months.. and the're still better than store bought! No one "washes" (if that't what we call rinsing the bloom off) my eggs before eating and no one has ever gotten sick YET.. from my eggs.

But wait, there's more! I harvest my birds as well and believe it or not they stay fresh with no fowl smell or slimy feeling for at least 2 weeks in the fridge! There is a LOT to be said for cross contamination and preventing it.

Most folks find out their birds are carrying salmonella when when of their humans gets ill. I've seen that be way more common than symptoms actually seen in the birds themselves. Even eating raw chicken doesn't cause salmonella.. unless the bird is carrying it. Might cause something else though I doubt it IF FRESH! :sick
Thank you so much for all that information!!! I'm dealing with a sick hen and completely running out of ideas on what could be wrong. No one else in the flock is ill so I'm thinking she might not have it. She's had the increased thirst and decreased appetite and green / yellow / white diarrhea so I was hoping to educate myself and help her out somehow.

No one else in the flock is ill so I'm thinking she might not have it. She's had the increased thirst and decreased appetite and green / yellow / white diarrhea so I was hoping to educate myself and help her out somehow.
That's a crop condition. Usually a blockage.

Yep.. went back to the vet today. On Tylan now. Xray didnt show anything abnormal and her crop is still impacted but the doc wasnt too concerned considering the size of it. Still scratching our heads on what could be wrong.
What is Tylan going to do for it?! Is this an avian vet and was the Tylan prescribed?

Reading the other thread.. dang, she's had lots of things thrown at her!

I'm gonna need some time to review.. but unless you lay OFF the treats and feed ONLY chicken feed or moistened chicken feed.. she will continue to be ill.. in my opinion.

Blueberries, carrots, seeds, mealworms and the like do NOT have the added vitamins, minerals, and AMINO ACIDS a formulated ration does. They are also high value foods so why settle for measly, every day, boring, chicken ration when you can fill up on the good stuff? If she eats ANY of that stuff it cannot count as decreased appetite. Can you get a weight on her? When was the last time she laid? How long has she been on the Tylan and do you understand that antibiotics often cause diarrhea?..

Can you start here again with a CLEAR and DETAILED summary of what and when from the beginning until now.. draw it together at this place to start the NEW review of the SAME illness that clearly hasn't fully resolved yet??

Please understand that I'm trying to be straight with you and not scolding or rude. I can see you are trying, hang in there! :fl

But back it up and take it to the basics.. Cut out ALL treats.. is the crop clear in the morning now? Coccidiosis AND internal parasites have been ruled out. This salmonella.. is reaching for straws.. when the basic root of the problem was never addressed properly YET.. lets do that! ;)

That's a crop condition. Usually a blockage.

What is Tylan going to do for it?! Is this an avian vet and was the Tylan prescribed?

Reading the other thread.. dang, she's had lots of things thrown at her!

I'm gonna need some time to review.. but unless you lay OFF the treats and feed ONLY chicken feed or moistened chicken feed.. she will continue to be ill.. in my opinion.

Blueberries, carrots, seeds, mealworms and the like do NOT have the added vitamins, minerals, and AMINO ACIDS a formulated ration does. They are also high value foods so why settle for measly, every day, boring, chicken ration when you can fill up on the good stuff? If she eats ANY of that stuff it cannot count as decreased appetite. Can you get a weight on her? When was the last time she laid? How long has she been on the Tylan and do you understand that antibiotics often cause diarrhea?..

Can you start here again with a CLEAR and DETAILED summary of what and when from the beginning until now.. draw it together at this place to start the NEW review of the SAME illness that clearly hasn't fully resolved yet??

Please understand that I'm trying to be straight with you and not scolding or rude. I can see you are trying, hang in there! :fl

But back it up and take it to the basics.. Cut out ALL treats.. is the crop clear in the morning now? Coccidiosis AND internal parasites have been ruled out. This salmonella.. is reaching for straws.. when the basic root of the problem was never addressed properly YET.. lets do that! ;)
Let me start up a new post with all the relevant details and I'll tag you in it. Would absolutely love any insight if you have the moment. The treats were a last ditch effort to get her to eat something since she wasnt eating. She hasn't gotten any treats since Monday when I noticed Tuesday morning that her crop did not empty.

Let me start up a new post with all the relevant details and I'll tag you in it. Would absolutely love any insight if you have the moment. The treats were a last ditch effort to get her to eat something since she wasnt eating. She hasn't gotten any treats since Monday when I noticed Tuesday morning that her crop did not empty.
Keeping all events for one bird in the same thread is better than starting a new thread for each event with the same bird.

Back
Top Bottom