Chickens sitting on duck eggs

EWatson

Hatching
May 25, 2021
My lemon bantams and one silkie are currently sitting on 4 duck eggs (6 broody hens!) Do I need to remove the eggs before they hatch due to number of “mummys” there are or just once they hatched into the brooder? I’ve also got some in incubator but my success there isn’t as good! Thanks

Well, with using broody hens, the hens need to 'wean' the chicks they hatch, other wise the hens will panic looking for their chicks when you take them away. how far along are the eggs? I'd switch them out into the incubator.

Well, with using broody hens, the hens need to 'wean' the chicks they hatch, other wise the hens will panic looking for their chicks when you take them away. how far along are the eggs? I'd switch them out into the incubator.
Some due to hatch this weekend some following weekend. Have a very placid hen who I could bring in with the ones for this weekend so don’t know whether to do that?

Some due to hatch this weekend some following weekend. Have a very placid hen who I could bring in with the ones for this weekend so don’t know whether to do that?
If you're talking about your incubator eggs, a hen is not necessary, just put them in the brooder as they hatch. Can you replace the eggs do this weekend with the eggs the bantams have been sitting on?

Back
Top Bottom