Duck egg halfway hatched, dead, on day 21

Frodo the Pekin

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
I have a broody chicken sitting on 4 duck eggs. They all were well until this morning on day 21 when I checked them. A dead embryo, halfway out of the shell. Yolk on one of the other ones, which I tried to clean with a rag, but was to scared of further damaging to remove all of it, and that one also has a small crack only visible via flashlight. What to do? What happened to the dead egg? Might the hen have tried to crack it out because of insticts since chicken eggs hatch on day 21? I am devastated, I really thought this might have been a successful first hatch...

Ps: I dont have an incubator

TW: dead duckling

This is the baby. Would have turned out beautiful 😞

Attachments

• 20230816_124835.jpg
    20230816_124835.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 21
Do you think it cracked somehow and the hen saw yolk/ blood and went for it? I'm really sorry about your chick. Other than that, I have no clue why it would do this.

Do you think it cracked somehow and the hen saw yolk/ blood and went for it? I'm really sorry about your chick. Other than that, I have no clue why it would do this.
I guess it could have cracked? Maybe the hen was a little harsh when getting off the nesting box to eat and cracked the shell. To be fair, my duck eggs do have a pretty fragile shell, so I can't rule that possibility out. I just hope the other, slightly cracked one will be alright, I dont really know what to do about it. It also has yolk residue on it from the dead one. Hopefully that one wont crack too, and mess up the two other ones. I already got the food and space for them, and man duckling food ain't cheap. But more than that, I really wanted to hatch ducklings out of my own ducks' eggs. I'm crossing my fingers for at least two succesful eggs.

I guess it could have cracked? Maybe the hen was a little harsh when getting off the nesting box to eat and cracked the shell. To be fair, my duck eggs do have a pretty fragile shell, so I can't rule that possibility out. I just hope the other, slightly cracked one will be alright, I dont really know what to do about it. It also has yolk residue on it from the dead one. Hopefully that one wont crack too, and mess up the two other ones. I already got the food and space for them, and man duckling food ain't cheap. But more than that, I really wanted to hatch ducklings out of my own ducks' eggs. I'm crossing my fingers for at least two succesful eggs.
Are you able to apply a thin strip of nail polish on the crack, or will that disturb mana hen? Really hope you get some ducklings and that egg is ok.

Are you able to apply a thin strip of nail polish on the crack, or will that disturb mana hen? Really hope you get some ducklings and that egg is ok.
I found some clear one with no glitter but still with that polish scent. My impatient ass applied it already, but I think it will be alright. Also, I can now confirm that the hen cracked that dead egg. I noticed now as I put the polish on the other egg that she had egg residue on her beak. I think your theory is the most likely to be true as of now

I found some clear one with no glitter but still with that polish scent. My impatient ass applied it already, but I think it will be alright. Also, I can now confirm that the hen cracked that dead egg. I noticed now as I put the polish on the other egg that she had egg residue on her beak. I think your theory is the most likely to be true as of now
The nail polish with smell should be perfectly fine I have a quail egg that I accidentally cracked on day 5 or 6 applied clear nail polish with strong mail polish smell to the area and he is still alive and going crazy in his egg. Best of luck on your hatch.

Update: when I came to check on her tonight, the polished egg was out of the nesting box, on the floor and cold. I candled it and I thought I saw some movement? But I'm not sure. I read online that she might have known the embryo inside that egg died and instinctively pushed it out. But I dont know how she could even do that. The nesting box is one of those black plastic crater with pretty tall 'walls', enough for her to get out but not the eggs. I dont understand how she might have taken it out. The egg did not crack further though, interestingly enough. I placed it back besides her and she seemed to take it back under her. Does anyone know what I should do know? Assume the egg is dead and take it out so I dont risk ruining the other ones?

Update: when I came to check on her tonight, the polished egg was out of the nesting box, on the floor and cold. I candled it and I thought I saw some movement? But I'm not sure. I read online that she might have known the embryo inside that egg died and instinctively pushed it out. But I dont know how she could even do that. The nesting box is one of those black plastic crater with pretty tall 'walls', enough for her to get out but not the eggs. I dont understand how she might have taken it out. The egg did not crack further though, interestingly enough. I placed it back besides her and she seemed to take it back under her. Does anyone know what I should do know? Assume the egg is dead and take it out so I dont risk ruining the other ones?
No, actually it is cracked. Pretty bad. It's like fate telling me that it wont hatch.

Back
Top Bottom