Pipping

Beccichka

Chirping
Feb 22, 2023
I have eggs in my incubator. Today is day 21. We didn't notice when the eggs started to crack. One chick was vigorous and has already hatched. I have three other eggs with cracks, but no further progress. It looks like even part of the shell fell off, but the membrane is intact. I am debating whether to make an hole in the air sac. If they have already cracked through, but the membrane is intact, can I put a small hole in the membrane?

I would leave them alone. They can take up to 24 hours to totally break out of the egg start to finish. They have air in there from the air sac and have a sharp beak to break the membrane.

I know it's hard, but you need to walk away and just let them do their thing. I have a hard time too!

Congrats on the one chick and you should have a few more!

I would leave them alone. They can take up to 24 hours to totally break out of the egg start to finish. They have air in there from the air sac and have a sharp beak to break the membrane.

I know it's hard, but you need to walk away and just let them do their thing. I have a hard time too!

Congrats on the one chick and you should have a few more!
We have a different one that started breaking through, but the three I posted about originally haven't progressed. The one egg had rocked at times, but has stopped for a few hours now. Another has a hole, but hasn't done anymore.

We have a different one that started breaking through, but the three I posted about originally haven't progressed. The one egg had rocked at times, but has stopped for a few hours now. Another has a hole, but hasn't done anymore.
If the egg shell is part off a good chance there is a hole in membrane. I take the hands off approach. It is hard not help and watch. I came to this conclusion from my own experience.

If the egg shell is part off a good chance there is a hole in membrane. I take the hands off approach. It is hard not help and watch. I came to this conclusion from my own experience.
1 of the 3 has its break through. The other one has the shell off and slits in the membrane, but it's been like this for many hours with no progress. I'm wondering if the membrane has dried. Should I apply some water or oil with a paintbrush?

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_221110.jpg
    IMG_20240321_221110.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 10
This other one has its break through and keeps open and closing his beak, but that's it. Should I peel some shell off?

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_223234.jpg
    IMG_20240321_223234.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 9
1 of the 3 has its break through. The other one has the shell off and slits in the membrane, but it's been like this for many hours with no progress. I'm wondering if the membrane has dried. Should I apply some water or oil with a paintbrush?
Off the top of my head I used Bacitracin a petrolium jelly ointment. You want to be care full of what you use. Water will just evaporate.
I take a more hands off approach, some chicks as mentioned can take 24 hours to pip there way out.
My experience and my opinion. I have saved some chicks by helping, but than have had some not so good results. Sometimes a person can help but the chick is not strong enough or there is other problems and they pass anyway.
Dont help I feel guilty, help and they pass than I wonder if it is my fault, help they live woo hoo great. I have not hatched in awhile, ( i have couple broody hens I let them do it now) but I just keep the correct humidity, temp and let nature run its course. Not all always make it.
Use the search function and there is articles in helping with hatching.

By pulling eggshell off you expose more membrane,how long has it been? give it 24 hours.
Try hard not to help before 24 hours has elapsed as you run a risk of the chick having issues later on. Time and time again we hear of chicks that were assisted have hip/leg/feet issues. In all my hatching, I have helped two after 24 hours. One died after three days, the other was perfect.

They really need to do this themselves as rough as it may look. They have a temporary "egg tooth" that helps them break through.

Back
Top Bottom