Chickens sleeping in run

Maybe these are more helpful. The front and nesting box sides are enclosed while the back and side are open. They do like to get under the roofing piece but only for shade. They all sleep just out in the open in the run and didn’t look for shelter at all during the storm. I think maybe they just didn’t realize what was happening since it was their first rain. We could definitely build more shelter in the run but that’s why we built the coop so of course would prefer they just go in there. We’ll keep an eye on them in future rain and make a decision if we need to build more overhangs in the run, however they didn’t use any of the current dry areas so not sure that would even be a guarantee.

OK, now I see how it works.

Maybe next serious rain you need to herd them into the dry space so that they understand what's available?

They don't like to be wet, but you have to teach them to go indoors when it rains :rolleyes:

They don't understand it as cause and effect. I have been soaked to the bone several times chasing them to come indoors when it rains, eventually I started giving them top shelf snacks to come indoors before the rain starts, now they understand the storm means I am coming out with treats and treats will be served in the covered run or coop. They all go inside and wait for me by the door. All the little faces are standing there staring out the door when I come to check everyone is inside and close the door.

They may or may not understand storms mean they will get wet if they stay outside, but they do understand they won't get their treat if the don't go inside. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure I understand the layout... Are they farther from the "outside world" (aka the wall) when in the run than in the coop?

If the space between them and the outside is bigger in the run, that will feel safer. Just keep bringing them inside, they will figure out that you really want that, and they will comply. (eventually!)

In answer to the fan question, I am in a very different climate but I have a bathroom fan in the coop and I love it. I find it lets me move smells, humidity, and stagnant air when needed, I suspect a fan will be useful for you at some point, if only to circulate things.

My initial thought is there is a reason they are not going in the coop at night. Perhaps something in there they don’t like. Not enough roosts in there, or room. To hot maybe. Something that scared them out one night and they just won’t go in anymore. I‘m not sure what it could be as I’ve never had this problem. I think photos would help too.
I was thinking the maybe to hot thing. :D

Back
Top Bottom