Chickens sneezing

ChickenIsh

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 24, 2013
I have about 35 chickens that are of many different breeds. I noticed a few sneezing over two weeks ago so I put them on duramycin10 for two weeks and the Saturday before last was the last day of the two week cycle. I've noticed since then that, although not as much, a few of my chickens are still sneezing, no discharge from the eyes or nose of any of my chickens, they are all active and seemingly healthy other than the sneezing. I never noticed all of them sneezing, just about 5 or 7 at the most, now it is maybe 2 or 3 of them that are still sneezing and I am wondering what could be the cause. Also, one two year old hen lost nearly half of her feathers in a matter of two or three days after starting the duramycin. And one hen and a pullet died rather suddenly the week before the duramycin was started and before any sneezing was noticed. I've also notice round worms in their stool and will begin treatment when I can, could this at all be linked to their sneezing? This is the first time I've had any sickness in my flock and the first time I've noticed roundworms as well. I also had a change of feed around the time the sneezing began, it was the same brand but a different type, could they be having an allergic reaction to the feed? I'd like to re-home about seven roosters from this years batch of chicks but I can't do so until I know the cause of the sneezing. Culling my flock is not an option as they are all pets used for the sole purpose of egg production. Any advice or knowledge on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

I did not notice any sneezing today and egg production has doubled since I stopped the duramycin a week ago. I am thinking they are getting better, but my main concern now is what do I do with the seven or so roosters that I need to re-home? And is there any way to know for sure if my chickens are now carriers of an upper respiratory disease without a necropsy or an expensive vets visit?

It sounds like you are dealing with infectious bronchitis, a virus which just has to run it's course for over a month. It also sounds like some of your chickens are molting. When you worm, use a good wormer like Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer. They are very easy to use giving a 1/2 ml to each chicken by mouth, and they get more than just the roundworms. Safeguard can affect feather re-growth, so use it when they aren't molting. You might want to read about the different respiratory diseases--especially IB and mycoplasma G in this link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It sounds like you are dealing with infectious bronchitis, a virus which just has to run it's course for over a month. It also sounds like some of your chickens are molting. When you worm, use a good wormer like Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer. They are very easy to use giving a 1/2 ml to each chicken by mouth, and they get more than just the roundworms. Safeguard can affect feather re-growth, so use it when they aren't molting. You might want to read about the different respiratory diseases--especially IB and mycoplasma G in this link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Will Wazine 17 work for deworming? It has 17 grams Piperazine Base. I already have a bottle of this but I can take it back if it's not what I should use. Just about all of them have been moulting for the past few months and out of my fourteen adult chickes I have only been getting 1-3 eggs a day for the past couple of months as well, they are about two years old. Most of them have finished their moult and the chicken that lost half her feathers was one of them, I can tell because I could see the difference between the shiney new ones and the dull and weathered old feather and most of them had very few old looking feathers left before the sickness happened. I am thinking her moult was due to the Duramycin or the disease. Will I have to close my flock if they have IB? I've read a bit on the respiratory diseases and a lot of people have said that if they get one they will be carriers for the rest of their lives and that they will have to either be culled or put in a closed flock, is this true for all respiratory diseases? Thanks for the link. :)

Will Wazine 17 work for deworming? It has 17 grams Piperazine Base. I already have a bottle of this but I can take it back if it's not what I should use. Just about all of them have been moulting for the past few months and out of my fourteen adult chickes I have only been getting 1-3 eggs a day for the past couple of months as well, they are about two years old. Most of them have finished their moult and the chicken that lost half her feathers was one of them, I can tell because I could see the difference between the shiney new ones and the dull and weathered old feather and most of them had very few old looking feathers left before the sickness happened. I am thinking her moult was due to the Duramycin or the disease. Will I have to close my flock if they have IB? I've read a bit on the respiratory diseases and a lot of people have said that if they get one they will be carriers for the rest of their lives and that they will have to either be culled or put in a closed flock, is this true for all respiratory diseases? Thanks for the link. :)
You need to know what the have exactly before ever giving away or selling birds or hatching eggs. I have read in one article that IB can produce carriers of up to a year, but I can't find the article. Many references say carriers for life, and most sources are vague. Any other disease--mycoplasma, coryza, ILT--you have to deep a closed flock.If it were me, it would be closed. Wazine will only get the roundworms, and there are several other chicken worms that won't be affected.

Is there any way to find out what they have without a necropsy or an expensive vet visit? I can wait until another bird dies but they seem to be better now so I will not be able to send a bird in for a necropsy for quite a while it seems.

I wouldn't go to a vet, but I would contact my state vet and ask questions. Sometimes you can get a bird tested by a county extention agent or NPIP tester, but every state is different. Some states (like California) offer free necropsies. You can ask how to get tested and how much for necropsy. The local vet will only send your bird in to the state to be tested, but they might be able to take a swab or culture for you. Here is the locator link for your state vet: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

I wouldn't go to a vet, but I would contact my state vet and ask questions. Sometimes you can get a bird tested by a county extention agent or NPIP tester, but every state is different. Some states (like California) offer free necropsies. You can ask how to get tested and how much for necropsy. The local vet will only send your bird in to the state to be tested, but they might be able to take a swab or culture for you. Here is the locator link for your state vet: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx

Alright thanks! I'll give them a call!

Back
Top Bottom