Chickens sound like they are growling. Whats up

In my neck of the woods, the "Growl" is a warning and when I hear it, I start looking around. In just about every instance there is a large bird, animal, or something out of the ordinary moving about. The girls run for cover and the roosters stand tall and prepare for "Battle". They even growl at me when I come around a corner or something. I pay attention when I hear that sound.

In my neck of the woods, the "Growl" is a warning and when I hear it, I start looking around. In just about every instance there is a large bird, animal, or something out of the ordinary moving about. The girls run for cover and the roosters stand tall and prepare for "Battle". They even growl at me when I come around a corner or something. I pay attention when I hear that sound.
Yes, but then there's my crazy hen who growls at me, whenever she sees me. I must have hurt her feelings when she was little. I've a rooster who calls his warning so most of the hens don't get a chance to growl at all.

lau.gif
poor little gal.

Quote:
Crazy would be a subjective term for my flock. Some of my girls and one rooster, just don't like anything but other chickens. The girls still give us eggs and the rooster isn't aggressive towards us so I really have no issues with any of them. Though that particular rooster is the first in the fight when a predator shows up. He's a 10 or so lb black sex link so I'm sure he packs a punch.

I am so glad I saw this thread. I have two hens that I let hang out with me (they come in the house while they are out roaming) and they were both just sitting... all mellowed out... and they started that growling noise. I know that they are happy & content so I just I am not sure what the growling sound means now.

But then again, my Light Brahma pullet sounds like a goose instead of a chicken... she honks.... kinda funny :)

Last edited:
I was in my chicken run the other day working on building my brood a bigger, better coop when I heard a low growling sound. When I went to investigate I found two of my dominant hens (we own a rooster but he is still an adolescent and hasn't worked his way up to the top of the pecking order yet) stop still, stare off into the trees, and start a low growling sound. All the other chickens were milling around them scratching at feed but these two seemed to look very alert and continued their low rumbling sound. I made it a point of putting bands on all my adults so I could tell them apart and know that these two are always in the lead. When I had a raccoon come by at night, all the chickens were in their coop except for these two and the rooster. On this afternoon, they continued to growl for atleast 15 minutes and rarely moved, even when I walked near them. I'm guessing that they heard something in the trees and were warning the brood there might be danger. It was really eerie watching them.

I got some young chickens 12-14 wks up to just under 8 months. 5 pullets to be exact and one rooster. The rooster crows as expected , as he is older but my question is this. I had some red layers and white ones last year. Just typical feed store hatchlings. These ones are Americauna mix. Just picked them up 2 days ago. Now they were free range so not used to being cooped up. Somebody but not the roo is making a sort of guttural chicken sounding growl.. Almost like a ticked off chicken growl.My other layers last year I never heard before. The grey ones if you stroke their backs they do that squat and wing thing I saw before, a sign of imminent laying will begin. Thats normal. But this isn`t what I expect to hear from their coop. They are in quarantine so by the time I open the door to their coop they all look stupidly at me as if to say `What you looking at`. we weren`t doing anything``I also wonder if it a breed thing with Americaunas. Has anybody heard this vocal behavior before. Oh here they are as soon as I got home.
. Hi there, unrelated to your post. But, how old is the grey chicken and the grey and Orange(ish) chicken and are they amerucana mixes as well? They look identical to birds i have that i have been trying to age and figure out the breed.

My chickens are into serious molt here and are a little less than friendly right now.

Yesterday, one of the more dominant but smaller hens started growling at the roo when they were eating some sunflower seeds I'd thrown out for them. He moved out of the way super quick.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom