Chickens sound like they are growling. Whats up

Anyone heard a chicken sneeze?

Yes! Sometimes when my chickens are scratching around in the deep leaves we have they will make this really high-pitched sound that is a sneeze. At first I was worried about it, but they are just getting dust from the leaves. It's a cute sound (as long as it isn't accompanied by illness).

It sends me off into giggles every time I hear one. Then I start putting apple cider in their water and yogurt in their feed.

Very cute though.
woot.gif

It sends me off into giggles every time I hear one. Then I start putting apple cider in their water and yogurt in their feed.

Very cute though.
woot.gif

Oh yeah, all the precautions! I've never noticed any other symptoms with the sneeze, but I do put ACV in their water on a regular basis. I should buy stock in the brand I use.
big_smile.png

I don't think I can put most chicken health water additives in, there's a duck drinking the same water.

I've never owned ducks, but they are really beautiful. Some friends of mine own several different breeds and I love to watch them. I don't know about letting them ingest things meant for chickens, better to be safe than sorry!

i have a slightly old hen that was recently gave to me. she is very tame and jumps on my arm come dinner time to be the first in line. a couple days ago i took 3 baskets out. one with layer mash, one with green scraps and one with scrambled eggs. she came running up, looked in the first basket and cocked her head, looked in the second basket and kinda sorted through it to see what it was. she turned her attention to the 3rd. basket and when she looked in she said WHHAAATTTT!!!! i about fell down laughing
lol.png
i guess scrambled eggs arent her thing.

i have a slightly old hen that was recently gave to me. she is very tame and jumps on my arm come dinner time to be the first in line. a couple days ago i took 3 baskets out. one with layer mash, one with green scraps and one with scrambled eggs. she came running up, looked in the first basket and cocked her head, looked in the second basket and kinda sorted through it to see what it was. she turned her attention to the 3rd. basket and when she looked in she said WHHAAATTTT!!!! i about fell down laughing
lol.png
i guess scrambled eggs arent her thing.

Lol!
yuckyuck.gif

I have a RIR that has been doing this all afternoon. She looks fine but is just walking around and 2 other hens started to fight her but the rooster stepped in and danced around the two non growling hens, protecting the RIR. I definitely think she does not like something as someone already said.

I've noticed my chickens do this when I put a treat down for them...it's as if they're saying "Mmmm, good grub!" I have never heard it and then seen any of them behave in an aggressive manner.

I wonder if it's like all other things, one chicken does it, so others pick up on it and it becomes "flock talk." Some wild birds - the same kind of bird but in a different area - sing their "song" slightly different. Some chickens "growl" when they're happy, some do it when there's something exciting, like treats?

Interesting if anyone ever did a study on it. Maybe only interesting to us, but I'd read it.

Back
Top Bottom