Chickens standing vs. Roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinaJ718, Oct 9, 2015.

1. TinaJ718

TinaJ718 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Hi All, I built a coop and have 3 hens (1 just started laying) I just noticed that my girls don't roost on the 2x4, mounted the wide way for them to stand on, but rather they just stand on the poop board 4" below the roost. My best guess is that the poop board is too close to the roost!? Any suggestions or advice! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine refuse to roost on the 2x4 with the 4 up, I believe it's uncomfortable as they have to balance more and can't grip, despite advice, my 2x4 are the 2 up and all my chickens like it that way, though I do have a few that roost on top of things so they are flat, so I would try turning your 2x4 and see if they will roost on them.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Every night at "bed check" I find my Black Cochin, the laziest chicken in all of North America. standing or sitting on the poop board instead of roosting. I have to give her a nudge and she gets up onto the perch. Sometimes a Welsummer will do this, too. I think she does it because the perch where she really, really wants to be is full, so she settles for underneath.

If chickens do any reasoning at all, we can't know for sure what it might be.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Try swapping out 2 x 4 for a 1" wooden dowel.

5. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    If try moving the roost up first. I need to do this too. Mine is also only about 4" above my board and it doesn't seem to be enough of a height difference that they feel they are lower if they just park on the board.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That's an easy one...remove the poop board. No real need for one at all.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My 2x4 wide side up roost is about 8" above poop board(with sand/PDZ mix),
    sometimes some of them sleep on the board or on the 2x2 edge of the board,
    it's not a problem IMO.

8. TinaJ718

TinaJ718 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Great suggestions! Thanks all!!

9. ChickenJay203

ChickenJay203 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I have the same issue going on. I am thinking to add a second roost. But then I have second thoughts because a smaller roost may be better in the winter so the hens will huddle up together. Hmmm... [​IMG] Thoughts..

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Make it bigger, they can always scooch closer together if they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by