Chickens stepping in own poop?

Hi
We are new to keeping chickens and we have a small flock of 4. they are about 2-3 weeks old now, but here is my issue...
The smallest gal has gotten poop stuck to her talons. Big blobs of the stuff that have turned into hard cement lumps on the ends of her toes. I try to scrape up the soiled bedding every evening, and clean the brooder box out completely once a week, but I can't be on it 24/7, and she just must walk in it the most. The other 3 don't really have this problem.
Is there any way to clean it off once its dried? I tried to pick a little off, but she just struggled too much and I did not want to hurt her, so I left it. Is this something I even need to be concerned about?
any comments would be appreciated!
jumpy.gif

Jarretfarm, you can soak your chick's toes in warm water. Make sure water is warm and not hot or it will burn your chicks. Scrub the toes with a soft toothbrush in water. Sometimes I just let the chicks stand in shallow warm water until it all comes off. Maybe your chicks need more space that way they're not stepping in wet poop as often

The number one treat that all mother hens seek out for their babies is gooey, wet, fresh, cow poop. A mother hen will drag her clutch of newly hatched chicks all over Hades and the better half of Georgia just to be the first one on the scene when the next cow patty hits the turf.

Then she will quickly wade drumstick deep into this gooey green goodness and begin frantically calling her children to dinner. You can even see the excitement and anticipation in her face when the cow raises its tail. In 30 minutes there will hardly be any evidence that the cow patty ever existed. Don't over think chickens, they have almost nothing in common with the human existence that you and I share with the rest of humanity.

Back
Top Bottom