Chickens stopped laying after introducing new birds to flock

eighthens525

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
Bakersville, North Carolina
I have 3 year old chickens who were laying great until I introduced new 6 week old birds to the flock. Most of them suddenly stopped and it's been 3 weeks since they have laid. One chicken is still laying fine and a few others lay about one egg a week, and then there are others who lay in the nesting box and then make an egg call, but no egg. How long should I expect them to take to get used to the new birds? They act fine and don't seem to mind them and they are free range so have plenty of room to roam. I am extra confused about the fake laying!

If it's been 3 weeks they should be pretty close to resuming I would think, or... since they're free ranging they may have decided to deal with the situation by laying elsewhere, so might want to take a look around their favorite hangout spots.

I have 3 year old chickens who were laying great until I introduced new 6 week old birds to the flock. Most of them suddenly stopped and it's been 3 weeks since they have laid. One chicken is still laying fine and a few others lay about one egg a week, and then there are others who lay in the nesting box and then make an egg call, but no egg. How long should I expect them to take to get used to the new birds? They act fine and don't seem to mind them and they are free range so have plenty of room to roam. I am extra confused about the fake laying!
Well since you’re birds that were newly introduced are only six weeks old are you feeding all of them chick starter? Change of diet could also be a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom