Chickens survived Hurricane Irene - Run did not!!!p

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FeistyChikin, Sep 3, 2011.

1. FeistyChikin

FeistyChikin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Cove City, NC
    Hurricane Irene tore through eastern North Carolina on Saturday. I was so worried about my chickens, but was prepared and locked everybody in their coop with food and water for the day. I never expected the trees near the coop to come crashing down. It was my first hurricane. What an awful thing to watch a tree wobbling back and forth and wondering which direction it will fall. Will it hit the coop or the run or both or maybe miss it all? Well it crushed my little chicken run, but thank God the chickens made it through. There were no eggs that day!!!

Here is the before picture. My beautiful little coop & run.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is after Hurricane Irene hit. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    That was fortunate that it missed the coop and your house! We have big pines like that around our house. EEEEK!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG] that is so sad.
    I am sorry you lost that sweet little set up. Glad the girls are okay though. I hope that was the extent of the damage and that you and yours are safe and sound.

4. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    [​IMG] What a close call! And so much hard work ahead! If I lived closer, I'd come help.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Wow!

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WHat a miracle your coop survived! I'm sure the hens were shaking in their boots that day! While it's upsetting at the time to see the damage to a beautiful run, it's all fixable. Sorry the tree dropped on the coop.

7. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Dang!

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Close call! Having weathered (pun intended) plenty of hurricanes, this is why I want to cut down the pines in the back. They are the first to fall and take out your house or whatever is around them.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Sorry your run didn't make it but glad all your chickens are okay!!

10. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow that was close! Glad to see the chickens and the coop made it through. Wish I lived closer and had a portable saw mill, I'd help clean up and process the downed trees into lumber for you so you could rebuild.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by