Chickens talking before falling aspleep. What are they saying?

With my feathery Cochin love, Mulan, it depends on if Bug, the legless bantam rooster, is in her house or not (he lives in her house (which is in my house) for the cold season). If he’s in there than there is an argument 99% of the time. I’m not sure exactly what is being said, but I feel like it’s along the lines of:

”Get out!” Mulan.
“B-b-b-but baby!” Bug.
“I’m not your baby (insert mean word here).” Mulan.
“You wound me!” Bug.
Argument continues.

Yet if Bug isn’t in there she has her little sleepy “brrs” which sometimes follows into a conversation of “is that so?” and “brr brr brr”.

As for the rest of the flock that doesn’t live in my house, they live closer to our friends’ house so I haven’t quite an idea of what they do. I’m guessing that it has to do with screaming, cussing, peace keeping, cried apologies, blowing noses, and maybe going back to cussing. Sounds like a family reunion, right?
😂

this is why I like it here...I’m not so crazy after all then

don't worry.......
75e125cb090b1253618d846594dd56ac.jpg

My five year old nephew asked me that same question, and I told him they're telling each other chicken bedtime stories (he and his siblings LOVE for me to tell them bedtime stories). He was tickled with that, and now whenever he visits he tells me they're telling stories when I close up the coop for the night :)

Now see...this is why I like it here...I’m not so crazy after all then. (My wife thinks I’m nuts with the chickens lol)

I have a wireless camera with 2-way sound in my coop and I like listening to the girls just before they go to sleep once in a while and I’ve even said goodnight to them a few times when I’ve checked in and they answer back excitedly and then go back to their “cooing” before they go to sleep. I find it very relaxing to listen to. My chickies sleep huddled up on each other in 2 separate groups and I just think they’re comforting each other by telling the others that they’re right there with them.
Right with you Brother. Everyone wife in-laws my kids all think I"m nuts with my chicken love. But I am well and truly smitten and sitting out at the coop (I built a porch I can sit on) and listen to them as they go to sleep trilling if they have had a good day. Frumpy Grumpy if they didn't kenough out time or the weather kept them in. I have two of my oldest a silkie Roo Chewie and a mixed sex link hen who has a gimpy leg that are always together and they chit chat and give each other little affectionate pecks. Wife thinks I"m nuts for wanting a camera with sound IN the coop not just out to watch for boogers. So yeah I get you. I came to terms with my illness years ago and now proudly pronounce my chicken obsessive disorder.

I swear my BAs say "thank you" when I give them treats. They make a soft, throaty honking noise, two syllables. When I approach the run, the come over to the door and make the same sound, but it's only one syllable, like "hi."

My chickens congregate at my glass patio door to tell me it's snack time. Rudy Roo crows. Once I've given them their treat, they join me on the patio. Rudy, especially, chatters to me. I wonder what he's saying. I talk back, of course. Some times the hens will doze off, and it sounds like they are snoring. Love my chickens!

There's something that give me a sense of peace and serenity. It's listening my girls talking softly to each other before falling asleep, safe and sound in the coop. I've always wondered what they say, which sensations they feel at the end of the day...
Does anybody have any idea or even a romantic idea?
I loved this book, haven't read anything like it before and it addresses your question. https://www.amazon.com/How-Speak-Ch...anding+chicken+language&qid=1601238440&sr=8-3

My chicks peep softly in their brooders which are in my bedroom. It's one of my rewards for having them inside for their first two weeks. When I first brought chicks home from a feed store almost 20 years ago, it was that soft peeping that clicked and, like you, brought a measure of peace, during a stressful time. I think the chicks peep contentedly, saying how warm they are and how happy their tummies feel as they say good night to each other. :hugs
I used to love that when they were littles in the brooder. Such a cute bunch of sounds. Now as hens it seems they are closing out the day with each other and telling me to get out!

Back
Top Bottom