Chickens that don't like Mealworms?

None of my chickens care for dried mealworms, I’ve never tried live ones though.

Some chickens just aren’t interested I guess. I always just thought mine were picky, but apparently a lot of other peoples chickens don’t like mealworms either.

Bought a bag of mealworms as recommended by our store when our ISA Browns were just a few weeks old. They refuse to eat them. I keep trying, maybe one chicken takes a peck at one and breaks a piece off, never comes back for more. They love live bugs of any kind so they certainly seem interested in some protein, just not the mealworms. Strange! View attachment 2244708
RANCID

They have gone rancid from poor storage. Exposure to air / oxygen went to work on the fatty acids. My birds will reject rancid mealworms even though they hammer down live and properly stored mealworms.

RANCID

They have gone rancid from poor storage. Exposure to air / oxygen went to work on the fatty acids. My birds will reject rancid mealworms even though they hammer down live and properly stored mealworms.
That’s possible. They didn’t like them from day one but the chicks were still very young then. Since then the mealworms have been sitting on the counter for a couple of months and the zip loc may not have been always tight. Maybe they were already old from sitting in the store.

Some just don't like them, mostly see the dry ones getting snubbed.
Never seen a live one turned down, not once in 30 plus years.
Have had a 100% male hatch take a hard pass on dried ones,.
Blew my mind, little males normally dine following "will it fit?" guidelines, food snobbery isn't something you expect lol! :)

Back
Top Bottom