Chickens that rarely lay?

Another thing you might want to try if you live rurally is a bachelor flock. If you house them separate to your hens usually a flock of roosters gets along quite well. You can often get them free/cheap, they're very beautiful and they certainly won't lay to many eggs!
That's actually a good idea. Do you know if it would bother them being near the other chickens but not being able to get to them? Would they pace the fence trying to get to the bigger flock and all the hens or would it be better to put them farther away where they can't see each other?

I can confirm that they horrible layers but damn cute!
I recently got these 2.
Brahma.JPG

My neighbor has Sultans, and they are so sweet and funny, with very little egg laying. I would second Brahmas, they are so pretty and kind to other chickens. They definitely do lay, so if you want almost no eggs, Sultans may be better.

Maybe you could look into endangered breeds. A lot of them are endangered because they are such poor layers. You could even start a conservation farm and get grant money, I'll bet.

W

ht not donate to a local food bank or just give them away. There’s plenty of people who would eat more eggs but can’t afford them.
There aren't any food banks near me that I know of. I don't personally know any people that can't afford their own eggs but I do give some away. It's just not enough to keep up with it.

There aren't any food banks near me that I know of. I don't personally know any people that can't afford their own eggs but I do give some away. It's just not enough to keep up with it.
A lot of food banks will only take pkg. or canned foods, not fresh. Once a month I take all mine to a mens recovery shelter and any produce from the garden, where they cook them up for the residents. You can try salvation army, they'll cook them up for a lot of hungry people. You'd be surprised how many people you can feed with a months worth of eggs! And you'll feel so good about yourself for doing that, that you could justify getting dozens more chickens! After all, its for a good cause, lol.

I was thinking of adding some white chickens to my flock (as I already have black and lots of dark colors) the next time I decide I need more which probably won't be until next year at the soonest but most likely the year after. But I already have way more eggs than I can use and 6 more pullets that will be laying by next year. So I was hoping I could find a breed that would suit what I'm looking for :) I really love my wyandottes so I was considering Columbian wyandottes but mine lay pretty regularly. The winters here aren't very harsh but the summers can be quite humid but they do have plenty of shade and ventilation and I provide multiple waterers. I prefer calmer breeds but that's not too important as I already have some that are quite tame. They have ample space to free range so no worries there. Does anyone have any suggestions for what might best fit what I'm looking for? Thank you in advance if you do!
Black Copper Marans don't lay frequently. I get an egg every 1-2, or 3 weeks from mine.

They're not white, but they don't lay often.

Back
Top Bottom