Chickens toe is turning white, shes limping

Rmstone368

Hatching
Aug 27, 2023
I noticed my chicken was limping so I further inspected to notice one of her toes is crooked and is turning completely white. She is a Copper Maran so her legs are yellow... is her toe going to fall off? What do I do? We got her from TSC in March 2023

Attachments

• 20230827_132259.jpg
    20230827_132259.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230827_132232.jpg
    20230827_132232.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230827_132151.jpg
    20230827_132151.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I noticed my chicken was limping so I further inspected to notice one of her toes is crooked and is turning completely white. She is a Copper Maran so her legs are yellow... is her toe going to fall off? What do I do?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Marans should have white legs not yellow.. so for starters she may not be the breed you think.. but can you post pics so we can see what you're talking about? Also what is her age?

ETA: the legs do look yellowish at hatch and turn white/pinkish as they mature.

ETAA: a video of the limping might also be useful. Have you felt the toe for any swelling or extra heat coming from it?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Marans should have white legs not yellow.. so for starters she may not be the breed you think.. but can you post pics so we can see what you're talking about? Also what is her age?

ETA: the legs do look yellowish at hatch and turn white/pinkish as they mature.

ETAA: a video of the limping might also be useful. Have you felt the toe for any swelling or extra heat coming from it?
I edited & added some pictures, I got her from TSC in March of this year. I'm trying to add a video but it doesn't want to fully upload

Yes, that looks like bumblefoot to me as well!
Super painful and treatment isn’t hard, but can take a long time! Esp with it affecting both sides of the same toe 💔

Poor girl!
Epsom salt soaks, vetricyn once dry, working the scabs off / cutting them out if necessary, super clean conditions that typically require separation from the rest of the flock to keep everything as clean as possible....

Please look around the forums/ do a search for treating the issue.
This is a very helpful article as well
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

I edited & added some pictures, I got her from TSC in March of this year. I'm trying to add a video but it doesn't want to fully upload
Oh, no video required those pictures tell quite the story on their own. It appears as though she broke that toe.. and yes that surface area may need to be treated for bumble foot as other have suggested.

Yes, that's definitely not a Marans foot.. they are often mislabeled or mixed up at TSC.. we may be able to help identify her with more full body pictures, if you care to try. Of course getting her toe taken care of is most important.. glad you caught it before it gets worse.

Hopefully she will recover quickly! :fl

Back
Top Bottom