Chickens tossed an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChocolateWingTheRooster, Oct 16, 2019.

1. ChocolateWingTheRooster

ChocolateWingTheRooster Songster

Jul 17, 2019
    Holland, MI
    A week or so ago, I collected eggs. I left the basket alone, outside. When I came back, a few of my chickens were out and had every egg out of the basket... and were eating the only green egg (that I got, it was cracked) and I was forced to throw the egg to stop them from eating it... but why and how did they get every egg out? And why was the one who layed the egg eating it, (yes, I confirmed it... it was hers) anyway?

2. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    They eat their eggs sometimes for calcium or just for treats, give my chickens eggs sometimes.

3. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Oh also, don't do that again or when they lay the eggs sometimes they eat them.

4. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    They may have been trying to put the eggs back in the nestbox, or build a nest area for them. It's not uncommon. When there is a broody, and multiple nestboxes, they will try putting all the eggs under the broody. A good broody will roll bad eggs out of their nestbox. In the process, if one breaks, they will eat them. I've never had one really break them on purpose, and eat them, (eggeater) but if one cracks open, or breaks, most of them will eat it.

5. ChocolateWingTheRooster

Jul 17, 2019
    Holland, MI
    I definitely won’t, I was having an off-day...

6. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Most likely some is getting ready to go broody, they ate the one that got cracked. Mine do that to me when they wanted to brood, they see it as they are trying to get a clutch together to sit on and your stealing it.

If they aren't fertile and/or you don't want them to hatch out don't set the egg basked down where they can get to it even if you are watching it. My hens tend to wait until they know I am not watching close enough and all help the broody get eggs under her. Crazy chickens thought she could hatch out 30 eggs on more than one occasion.

If they are getting ready to molt or just coming off of molt they have a voracious appetite too as molting takes a lot out of them.

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Probably the one that was damaged. A fluke I'm thinking..

8. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Never new that, very interesting.

9. ChocolateWingTheRooster

Jul 17, 2019
    Holland, MI
    I’m pretty sure a few may be molting, since I only got 5, unlike my usual 8-11. (I mean 5 eggs lol)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Sequel and AviansLove like this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are your birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: