Chickens very messy with feed...suggestions for a feeder.

Pleasantonchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
East Bay, CA
Hi there BYC people,

We are pretty new to chickens, we have three that are about 12wks old. Love this site and all the help from fellow chicken owners. Kind of a silly question but my chickens make a huge mess with their feed. I hung the feeder up recently but the feed is still all over the place. The bottom of the run is sand and I sift the poop and wasted feed out every other day. Does anyone have this problem? I posted a picture of our set up below any suggestions would be great.
big_smile.png

94013_012.jpg

Bear Foot Farm: Thank you for your response. Makes perfect sense, I am still learning...I feel a bit silly right now:D

DDR Longhorns: Thank you! We did the best we could with the little bit of room we have in California, someday I would love to have land!

Glad you asked this, I'm having the same issue. I keep filling it back up
hu.gif
Oops! I felt bad making them eat it off the grass lol. Seems pretty obvious now
roll.png

Edit : I meant to comment on your sweet set up. Very nice!!

Last edited:
I had the same problem. I had my feeder too low and they were scratching in it. I raised it up some and it stopped. If that is your feeder that I can see in the pen, maybe it is too high...??? Try changing your height and see it if it helps.

Quote:
Haunted Chicken: I felt bad about them eating the feed off the ground too...my husband looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to remind me they are chickens...they don't mind eating things off the ground! Thanks for your kind comment about our set up
smile.png

Mama Bear: Thank you for your input, I will try moving the feeder down a bit.

I have a 30lbs feeder that I also hang (love it because I only have to fill it about every three weeks or so). It is hanging about chest high....and there is honestly no wasted feed. I would agree with adjusting the height a bit. Great coop, by the way
smile.png

Nicolette'sFarmette :

I have a 30lbs feeder that I also hang (love it because I only have to fill it about every three weeks or so). It is hanging about chest high....and there is honestly no wasted feed. I would agree with adjusting the height a bit. Great coop, by the way
smile.png

How do they reach it???​

I asked the same question a while back. We ended up building the feeder in post 10. It's the BYC posters(KDK1)'s design and I have zero feed waste! It fits the entire 50# bag and the feeder is mounted outside the coop, with the tray inside. Not even a single morsel has spilled out. Here is the post. I'm very grateful KDK1 shared his idea with me. It's the best and most effictive feeder ever!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535997

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom