Chickens very stressed when put into coop

asvoyatsky

Chirping
Jun 6, 2019
Colorado
Hi there,
We recently got 4 chicks who are now 6.5 weeks old. At about 4 weeks, we moved them into their permanent coop full time but kept their heat lamp on as it was still too cold during the day/night. At 5 weeks we started letting them out into the run while we're at work and bringing them in at night with heat lamp on. Finally, this past week we started turning the lamp off at night as they are all fully feathered now. The problem is now when they go back into their coop for the night with no lamp on, they seem extremely stressed and all go to one corner and keep stepping on each other trying to get underneath one another. We're putting them in at dusk so it's still semi light out, and its 75+ degrees when we do so, so it shouldn't be a warmth issue. I can't figure out what the issue is but want to do anything I can because they're chirping really loud and step all over each other for at least 30 mins. Any thoughts?

Hi there,
We recently got 4 chicks who are now 6.5 weeks old. At about 4 weeks, we moved them into their permanent coop full time but kept their heat lamp on as it was still too cold during the day/night. At 5 weeks we started letting them out into the run while we're at work and bringing them in at night with heat lamp on. Finally, this past week we started turning the lamp off at night as they are all fully feathered now. The problem is now when they go back into their coop for the night with no lamp on, they seem extremely stressed and all go to one corner and keep stepping on each other trying to get underneath one another. We're putting them in at dusk so it's still semi light out, and its 75+ degrees when we do so, so it shouldn't be a warmth issue. I can't figure out what the issue is but want to do anything I can because they're chirping really loud and step all over each other for at least 30 mins. Any thoughts?
Can you post a picture of your coop?
If you are putting them in yourselves, they are likely responding to the "sudden" lack of light vs the more gradual darkening if they go to roost on their own when there is plenty of light to see by. A nightlight would help. Do you have windows that allow some light in?

Hi! The same exact situation happened to me with my 48 baby chicks at six weeks .. we decided to just leave them. Since they don’t have a roost they just bundle together wherever they can, (it’s very random.) now they are about 8-9 weeks and they still all sleep bundled up like that (plus five ducks lol) and I think it’s just instinct and it makes them feel safe. Most chickens do not sleep spread out and like bundling up at night.

That happened when I put my oldest 4 out. I felt so bad for them. I ended up using my phone light to show them where they were, and for some reason that worked. They all cuddled up together (in the nest box) and I was able to leave without a fight!

Can you post a picture of your coop?
If you are putting them in yourselves, they are likely responding to the "sudden" lack of light vs the more gradual darkening if they go to roost on their own when there is plenty of light to see by. A nightlight would help. Do you have windows that allow some light in?

Yeah I can see that being the case. The coop does have a window on the opposite side of that open door (can’t see it in the picture), and I’ve left it open hoping that would let more light in but it hasn’t helped. I can try a night light though! I think once they learn how to go in on their own, it’ll get better. Thanks!

Attachments

• E5151CF7-E085-41D0-B1E6-5CFBC3EC5590.png
    E5151CF7-E085-41D0-B1E6-5CFBC3EC5590.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
A nightlight should help them adjust - can be something as simple as a stick on battery light. Turn it on before bed and once they're settled in for the night, turn it off. They'll fuss but they'll get over it.

You might want to add another window somewhere that gets better light exposure so they can get a more natural tapering of daylight.

A nightlight should help them adjust - can be something as simple as a stick on battery light. Turn it on before bed and once they're settled in for the night, turn it off. They'll fuss but they'll get over it.

You might want to add another window somewhere that gets better light exposure so they can get a more natural tapering of daylight.
Ditto on the battery light near bedtime......plus they just need to get used to the differences... chickens don't like change, but they will adjust.

Ditto too on the more windows for light and ventilation.

Welcome to BYC! @asvoyatsky
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-7_17-34-36.png

Update!! So the chickens finally learned to get up the ramp into their coop all on their own so they have been getting adjusted for the night (still right on top of one another) and then falling asleep. It’s been about maybe 5 mins of where I can hear them moving around and chirping but way better than 20+ mins like last week. We’ve kept the coop door at the top of the ramp open while they get adjusted and then close it for the night once I hear them settled in so I think that extra light has helped them too. Thanks everyone for the tips!!

Back
Top Bottom