Chickens Vs. Ducks

Roosterboy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
As pets. What are the pros and cons of each? What is your favorite? (I know that most will say chickens considering the website

Edit to add:

Or guinea fowl?

Last edited:
Well, for pets maybe ducks, b/c they are a little less aggressive, I think. Chickens have "better" or more familiar tasting eggs, though. I've never had a duck egg before, but I've heard that they take some getting used to.

Well, I've had both and am taking care of both at the fall festival. I'll take chickens any day and that's not because this is a chicken site! LOL Ducks are messy, messy, messy!

I love my Ducks, and their eggs are great, big and very tasty. As far as freindlyness, I have some chickens and some ducks that are freindly and some chickens and some ducks that are not. Ducks by far are messyer to raise and make anything they can into a puddle. but they dont squable. I have both and I love both equally. Guineas..well I just have 3 that are a month old but they are not freindly, very flighty. But I got them to more for eating bugs and ticks so as long as they do that I will get a few more. and they can stay.

I love my chickens, but my zoo has some Peking ducks in the education dept, and they have stolen my heart. Peaches and Dora are so full of personality, they're always cackling back and forth to each other. I would love to have a couple of Pekings one day.

Quack quack.

Guess what I choose?
lol.png

I have both and I have to admit they are both special in different ways. The ducks are terrific to watch, great entertainment, but they are messy and are not overly friendly. I have six, four raised as babies and two added later and the group of four pick on the other two.

My chickens are much cleaner but they don't hold the same entertainment appeal to me. I do love them though and several of them are very friendly and let me hold them and pack them around.

I have never cooked a duck egg, I have baked with them and they are wonderful for baking.

Back
Top Bottom