Chickens Vs. Ducks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Roosterboy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    As pets. What are the pros and cons of each? What is your favorite? (I know that most will say chickens considering the website

Edit to add:

Or guinea fowl?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Now I have owned both. Both are nice if raised from babies. Chickens purchased as adults are ok, but a duck? If you don't raise it, they can be not ducky~

3. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Personally, I like ducks. They don't squabble as much as chickens, and if you get the right breed, they can be very friendly. They're not as prone to disease, either.

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Well, for pets maybe ducks, b/c they are a little less aggressive, I think. Chickens have "better" or more familiar tasting eggs, though. I've never had a duck egg before, but I've heard that they take some getting used to.

5. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Quote:I think duck eggs taste wonderful, they do have a stronger flavor!

Dove

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, I've had both and am taking care of both at the fall festival. I'll take chickens any day and that's not because this is a chicken site! LOL Ducks are messy, messy, messy!

7. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    I love my Ducks, and their eggs are great, big and very tasty. As far as freindlyness, I have some chickens and some ducks that are freindly and some chickens and some ducks that are not. Ducks by far are messyer to raise and make anything they can into a puddle. but they dont squable. I have both and I love both equally. Guineas..well I just have 3 that are a month old but they are not freindly, very flighty. But I got them to more for eating bugs and ticks so as long as they do that I will get a few more. and they can stay.

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I love my chickens, but my zoo has some Peking ducks in the education dept, and they have stolen my heart. Peaches and Dora are so full of personality, they're always cackling back and forth to each other. I would love to have a couple of Pekings one day.

9. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quack quack.

Guess what I choose? [​IMG]

10. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have both and I have to admit they are both special in different ways. The ducks are terrific to watch, great entertainment, but they are messy and are not overly friendly. I have six, four raised as babies and two added later and the group of four pick on the other two.

My chickens are much cleaner but they don't hold the same entertainment appeal to me. I do love them though and several of them are very friendly and let me hold them and pack them around.

I have never cooked a duck egg, I have baked with them and they are wonderful for baking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by