chickens wasteing alot of feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Aug 22, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i feed layer mash in the 30 lb galvanizef hanging feeders. how can i stop them from wasteing so much. probably 20 lbs a month ends up on the coop floor. i have tried crumbles and the same thing happens. havent switched to pellets yet afraid they would stop laying so i have heard from others that have done it.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Mine too used to LOVE flicking the crumbles all over the ground...although you haven't switched to pellets, you might give it a try. Once I switched to the pellets, there was less wasted feed. One thing that I did before I switched was to put up pieces of wood (their feeder was made of wood) across the opening where the feed comes out to keep them from being able to flick their head from side to side

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I feed pellets for less waste, but you have to gradually mix them in with the crumbles. Make sure your feeders are hung high enough, so they can't scratch in them.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Cut back on the feed..

Chris

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I made those PVC feeders what a difference in waste and I don't need to feed them as often it's working out great

6. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    I made those PVC feeders what a difference in waste and I don't need to feed them as often it's working out great

link?[​IMG]

7. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    I feed in a baby swimming pool. Nothing is wasted. They can scratch in it all they want.

8. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    We were having the same problem. We resolved by buying a $2.95 pan at WalMart that you would use for changing the oil in your car. The feeder fits down in it perfectly and the lip is just high enough to catch the food they flick out. When they have flicked out enough that you can't see the edge of the feeder anymore you just pour it back into the feeder with the handy pouring spout that is made in the pan itself.

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:link?[​IMG]

type in the search box PVC feeder there are many threads with lots of pictures

10. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Going to get some tomorrow . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by