chickens wasteing alot of feed

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
i feed layer mash in the 30 lb galvanizef hanging feeders. how can i stop them from wasteing so much. probably 20 lbs a month ends up on the coop floor. i have tried crumbles and the same thing happens. havent switched to pellets yet afraid they would stop laying so i have heard from others that have done it.

Mine too used to LOVE flicking the crumbles all over the ground...although you haven't switched to pellets, you might give it a try. Once I switched to the pellets, there was less wasted feed. One thing that I did before I switched was to put up pieces of wood (their feeder was made of wood) across the opening where the feed comes out to keep them from being able to flick their head from side to side

I feed pellets for less waste, but you have to gradually mix them in with the crumbles. Make sure your feeders are hung high enough, so they can't scratch in them.

I made those PVC feeders what a difference in waste and I don't need to feed them as often it's working out great

link?
caf.gif

We were having the same problem. We resolved by buying a $2.95 pan at WalMart that you would use for changing the oil in your car. The feeder fits down in it perfectly and the lip is just high enough to catch the food they flick out. When they have flicked out enough that you can't see the edge of the feeder anymore you just pour it back into the feeder with the handy pouring spout that is made in the pan itself.

Back
Top Bottom